Chapter 九

3rd P.O.V

The full moon was shining high above the woods as a little boy in was gazing at the fireflies flying about. He was trying to catch some in a jar with his sister.

"Got one," he said as he scooped one up.

His sister came over and shook her head.

"What are you doing dumbass? You're supposed to put holes in the lid. Otherwise you'll kill them." She told him.

The boy just kept looking at it.

"Do I have to let them go?" He asked.

"Do you want him to die?" Her brother shook his head.

The girl then noticed more fireflies ahead and went over to play with them as her brother tried to catch another firefly close by. But as he tried to catch it he missed and the first one he caught escaped. He angrily looked ahead and noticed a dark shape up ahead. There was growling and he screamed at the sight of a shifted Boyd who was baring down on him. The boy ran for his sister and they ran off to put as much distance between them and the werewolf as possible. They came to a small shed and quickly got in and locked themselves in. They huddled together as they could hear the hard growling and scratching just outside. The walls were pounded on and then lifted up as Boyd went and threw the shed's walls away. The girl dropped her jar of fireflies and they started to buzz off at Boyd. At the same moment, a small figure growled and the fireflies left as if someone had called them off. Boyd looked down at the figure before whimpering and running away.

"You lost them?" Derek said through the phone in disbelief.

"Yeah, I kind of had to," said Scott.

"Wasn't exactly the plan."

"I know, which is why I think we have to stick together. Okay, he's too fast, too strong and way too angry for one person to handle. We've got to do this together."

"Look, I'm at the trails by the entrance to the preserve, can you meet me here?" Derek asked.

"Yeah," said Scott. "Just got to drop something off first," he said before he looked at the two kids he helped pull out of Boyd's reach. "We've also got another problem, although it isn't really a problem come to think of it," he added.

"What is it?" Asked Derek.

Scott sighed and looked at the small figure who had just made Boyd run away. She was with the two kids who were playing with her.

"Kylie's here," Scott said.

Scott and Kylie found Derek, at which Kylie ran in his arms to get his scent as he was Alpha after all, and together they moved through the woods to try and follow after Boyd and Cora's scent. They came upon footprints and they were fresh. Kylie got on all fours and sniffed the prints.

"Is it them?" Scott asked.

"We're not the only ones that decided to stick together." Derek stated.

"Is that going to make it easier or harder to catch them?" Scott asked.

Derek just looked out.

"I don't know."

Scott started shaking his head.

"Derek. I saw Boyd try to rip two little kids apart. Are they going to do that to anyone they find?" He asked.

Derek looked grimly at him before he went off.

"Anyone and everyone." Then he looked at Kylie, who was waiting for them to continue the search. "Apart from her," He nodded at her. "Even under the effects of the full moon, they wouldn't dare harm Kylie. It's how we work."