Chapter 19: ~Rosa~

Accompanying me back to the thieves guild, Bartolomeo and I made small talk, he continuously apologized for the whole incident down in the fighting arena, his eyes darting to every inch of my face, I knew I must have been bruised up quite a bit when he winced slightly, unnoticeable, but not to me. I had new additions to my appearance, wasn't so sure about my face just yet but my body looked bad enough; plus the limp, I hoped the guards didn't take it the wrong way and target Bartolomeo, but I mean, who cares much about women these days anyway? Arm and arm with him we made our way back, the guild was extremely hidden due to its secrecy, the occasional talks me and volpe had were short but ended up explaining a whole lot, I'm not surprised he wanted to keep the conversations at a certain length, he likes to keep quiet about most things, so I've heard, and so far noticed as well; I learned his current guild wasn't set in Venezia, but in Firenze, of course he didn't point out where, but I figured out whom was running the guild in which we met, his name was Antonio, I had yet to meet him.

"When did you decide to contact- the fox?" He whispered the last part so no one would hear; Bartolomeo caught me lost in thought as I didn't answer his question, in fact I'd not even heard it at all; He went silent. I stayed quiet the rest of the trip, considering how tired and wounded I remained, and suddenly something I'd almost forgotten floated into my brain; that man, I would ask Bartolomeo about him, but I'm afraid he would think I'm crazy, seeing as I didn't actually know if the man was real, his voice was quiet and soothing, the way his voice replayed in my head not only made my nerves calm in a way, but it also made my knees weak, my face flushed. Bartolomeo must have noticed, in fact, we were already standing at the guilds door,

"What's with that look? Is your fever back? Ah He told me you had a high fever; we should get you in bed as soon as possible." He nudged me forward through the doorway, I stumbled a little, my bruised body couldn't take even the slightest push.

"Who told you?" I questioned hoping I wasn't mistaken.

"He also told me not to let you get up too soon, Antonio and volpe will make sure you heal properly." He sighed leading me toward the stairs, he helped me up them slowly as I took difficulty to walking up them.

"But Bartolomeo, who is 'he'?" I stumbled slightly from one weak foot, to the other; Bartolomeo's hand instinctively flew to my back to spot me, he urged me forward once more,

"Don't worry about it right now, I'll inform Antonio that you've arrived, he's sure to let volpe know as well." His hand still placed on my lower back as we entered the small shack of a room, creaky floors, torn curtains, it was paradise compared to my old home, the one I gave everything just to stay dry and warm during the winters. I plopped down onto the bed suddenly realizing how tired I truly was, I rested my head onto the slightly uncomfortable pillow, I fell into slumber.

~~~

I awoke to a heated discussion, not fully awaken in my hypnagogic state of consciousness I could hardly make out a word that was said; it was exactly fighting, actually I wasn't exactly sure for that matter, but it wasn't pleasant I had a gut feeling. After a few more rough unknown words spoken, the voice calmed down slightly and I heard a door creak open, assuming it was to the room in which I stayed, considering how close it sounded; No footsteps, no voice, nothing, just silence, but I could feel the end of the bed sink.. thing was I couldn't move, my body was paralyzed as if still locked in my state of lethargy, everything was a blur, trying to keep my eyes open was a damned chore.

It might be logical if I remain here for awhile, so my wounds can heal.

Words played in my head as I mentally agreed with myself. I heard a short but soft sigh, and I felt the mattress lift, they were leaving.. it was most likely just volpe but I didn't really want to be alone, even if I were asleep.