Chapter 21: ~cakery~

After discussing things with Ezio, rosa and I still decided to head out into town for ingredients, such as bread, fruits and veggies, whatever they had available, the strong scent that comes from that area is quite discouraging, but it's mostly the raw meats and fish, in fact, there was a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables imported from the Italian cities that didn't sit on open water.

"I was hoping for fresh strawberries, but we will do just fine without." Rosa glanced at the fruit stalls which mostly contained apples, not surprised.

"Seems the season has passed, what were you hoping to whip up?" She peaked my curiosity, of course something sweet, but of what nature?

"Well, have you heard of savoiardi?" She questioned and examined my expression.

"I think I've heard something of it, it's a sweet soft cake, or something similar right?" I raised a brow hoping I didn't screw up, though I was pretty damned sure I was spot on.

"Si, that, and its layered with custard and alchermes, and topped with whatever you please. And I thought strawberries would be more of your taste." She blushed ever so slightly as she threw out her words aimlessly.

"Right, we hardly know each other and you've already gave a shot at my favourite fruit, my my you're quick to the belt." I teased her and she snapped back immediately.

"Quick to the belt, mio dio, let's just get the damn food." She shook her head and left me in her tracks as I laughed in pure harmony. She picked up a citrus fruit and gave it a light press to see if it were any good, I approached and did the same with another, citrus was delicious, tang and juicy. "I didn't get it right did I?" Rosa spoke once more tilting her head to gaze at me.

"Hm, maybe." I gave a smirk as I wasn't going to give the answer away, actually all fruit is all well and good with me, vegetables too, I wouldn't want to have to choose favourites. "Pick anything that suits your taste, Rosa amore." I smiled brightly to her.

"Then, how about cherries?" She picked a few up in her palm and grinned.

"Fine with me! Now, how do we get the cake?" I scratched my head, knowing nothing in the marketplace was pre-made.

"The bakery silly!" She ran at top speed, fast was rosa's middle name, I mean, she was a thief after all, she was an escape artist.

"The bakery? Where?!" I yelled at her already fading silhouette, she knew I couldn't run at the moment, she knew my legs would give out, but here she was running. "Cazzo, rosa!" I tried to yell knowing it would get me nowhere at all; I sighed in defeat. "I suppose in the meantime I'll.. look for necessary ingredients?" I knew everyone around me were completely confused, and probably staring at me like I were a nut, but not to my concern really, Rosa had known I wasn't in any shape to run with her, so why'd she run off? I sighed and looked to the rows of bloodied fish on the table of one of the stalls, their beady eyes locked in the same spots, the butchers knife laid to rest next to them as the butcher spoke to customers, its as if the fish knew their fate and weren't able to do anything, as a matter of fact, that's how I saw myself; if I didn't train, if I didn't learn to hold my own in an attack, then I would be bait, just a dummy waiting to be tested. The pain in my legs worsened as I stood for too long, my eyes automatically shifted around looking for a place to rest, as soon as I found one I headed over to rest next to a young woman in rags, under her eyes were lined with dark circles, as if she worked endlessly to serve her children, or maybe just herself, her body thin and frail, her eyes bloodshot, like she received no sleep whatsoever, she wore no shoes so her feet were covered in calluses, luckily I wore shoes, but I also wore clothes that would be considered by the rich as rags, I couldn't afford any fancy fabrics or buttons, it was as good as I could get. I leaned back against the wall behind me as I tossed one leg over the other, hitting a few bruises I winced and the woman beside me hesitantly but instinctively rested her shaky hand on my shoulder, my eyes darted over to a concerned face.