Chapter 19~Silence is Golden

After a breakfast consisting of “porridge” (Not oatmeal, mind you) we got dressed and set out. Biff, the lumber yard manager, came around 11:00 and dropped off the rest of the wood.

“Emmy I need a 2 by 4.” He grunted while drilling a screw through the wood onto the floor boards.

“Is that the really fat one or the rather small one?” I called back up, scratching my head. There were too many names I had never heard of, considering my father was a white collar worker. Philips screwdriver, flat head screw, Claw (Back of a hammer) and now a 2 by 4. There was so much I never knew of and it was really impressive that Terrence had it all down pat.

“That thin one.” He pointed to a board on the ground and I grabbed it, hoisting it up to him and trying not to drop it on my head. He snatched it with one firm hand, bringing it over to where he needed and began attaching it. “Do you want to try?” My gaze went upward and a smile crept on my face. He was looking down at me expectantly and I began climbing up our new ladder. His hand grabbed hold of mine and helped me the rest of the way. Once I was safely on the floor of our tree house he handed me the drill.

“You have to hold onto it firmly; otherwise it’ll fly out of your hands.” I nodded in understanding. “Make sure to press down on the screw tightly as well, otherwise it’ll go everywhere.”

I did as he said and pressed down on the trigger. It was fast at first and I nearly jumped out of my skin, but eventually I got the hang of it and tried another.

I heard a small laugh from my side and I looked over. “Do you want to trade positions?” A small blush flushed my face and I shook my head.

“N-No I’m fine with handing the stuff to you…” It was just then I realized how close we really were. I could see the flecks of gold and purple in his eyes and intimidation flooded through me. I clamored down the tree, trying to get away. When I looked up at him I noticed his face flushed slightly as well.

An hour and one wall later, we ran out of screws. Of course. The one thing we really need.

We were on our way to town, both of us covered in dirt and splinters of wood stuck in our clothes. Once again, I found myself staring blankly at his right hand, his other tucked firmly in his ripped jean’s pocket.

“We’re going to need Philips screws and a few boxes of nails.” He was prattling on about something but I couldn’t concentrate. All of my focus was directed to his hand. And before I knew what had happened, my hand slipped into his and his chattering stopped for a moment. I looked up, mortified at my action, and his face deepened into a light pink. “We should also probably pick up some more caulk right away.” He didn’t let go, but instead, tightened his grip on my hand, as if nothing had happened. My eyes widened slightly at his casualness. “W-What do you think?” He looked over at me, face still pink, but was obviously trying to keep it casual and not awkward.

“That’s a good idea. No need for two stops…” He nodded and looked straight on, leaving me with a smile on my pink face.

I heard the ding of the hardware store’s bell above our heads and a podgy man greeted us.

“Morning Terrence.”

“Morning Mr. Grosser.” The man had a familiar air to him and Terrence smiled politely. “The screws are over here…” I saw a tint of pink on his neck and he pointed to an isle using our intertwined hands. Following him was instinct. Second nature. I’d grown accustomed to being by his side and there was nowhere else I wanted to be.

“I-Is there a certain kind we need to get?” I swallowed, trying to get used to the feeling of holding hands. Everything that came out of my mouth was autopilot. Every brain cell was currently dedicated to thinking about our hands.

“Nope. Just these.” We moved throughout the hardware store, grabbing the things on our mental list. Terrence would try to instruct and explain what everything was for and how it worked, but I wasn’t really listening. The world seemed to be in a bit of a haze and I found us at the checkout counter.

“I assume you found everything alright.” Mr. Grosser had a knowing smile on his face and he continually glanced down at our hands. Just how often did Terrence come here?

“Of course.” The brunet handed him a foreign looking currency and I just assumed it was the right amount.

Mr. Grosser handed back a couple pieces of paper and a receipt, saluting us away as we walked out the door. Terrence had a firm grip on both the plastic bag and my hand and I was drinking in the scenery. There was a peaceful quietness around us since neither of us spoke a word for nearly ten minutes. Terrence’s thumb grazed over the back of my hand in an unrecognizable pattern and I found it strangely calming.

“Learn to prize silence. Embrace and appreciate stillness. Sometimes you hear more when you speak less.”

One of my eyebrows rose at his suddenness and I looked up at him.

“Bernita Weston.” He answered my unspoken question and a small smile spilt onto both of our faces.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

He sighed and looked up at the trees for a moment. We were walking down a lane, vines growing up the wall and trees on our right. “I don’t understand why people have to talk all the time. Sometimes silence is all you really need.” I was quiet, drinking in his voice and words. “I like this. Just an easy silence. Sometimes you feel pressured to say things." There was a slight pause and an amused smile broke out onto his face."‘Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.’ William S. Burroughs.”

“What’s with you and quotes today?”

“It isn’t just today Emmy.” He looked down at me with a fond smile. “You’ll get used to it.”

And I really hoped I would get the chance to.