18- It's a...

"Today's the big day," Elliot mentioned while we got ready.

"I'm so excited and nervous," I said while putting my hair up into a towel. I went through my clothes and found a shirt and leggings to wear. "That's the last thing that'll fit," I told Elliot while doing my hair.

"We'll go shopping this weekend with Ever." He promised and hugged me from behind. His hands rested on my stomach and his head on shoulder.

"DAD!" Ever screamed. Elliot let go of me and ran out of the room and to Ever's. I walked up the stairs behind him. Ever was on her bed crying.

"What's wrong?" Elliot asked pulling her into a hug.

"There's a spider," She bawled.

"I thought you weren't scared of spiders," I said.

"I'm not," Ever looked up at Elliot and I. "I accidentally killed it! Spider-Man will never forgive me!"

Elliot glanced up at me and bit his lip in order to stop laughing.

"Ever, look at me," I sat on her bed and tilted her chin up. "The spider is going to be okay. He knows it was an accident. He's probably in spider heaven right now."I assured her.

"Really?" She asked in a hopeful voice.

"Really." I kissed her head. "Now, go get ready."

"Okay." She got off her head and went to the bathroom to get ready.

"Thank you for doing that," Elliot whispered and kissed the side of my head.

"Anything for our daughter," I said and got up to go pick out Ever's clothes.

Elliot was quiet as I walked into Ever's closet. I took out a blue sweater, underwear, and leggings out and laid them on her bed.

"Dad? Can you leave?" Ever asked from inside the bathroom.

Elliot snapped out of whatever trance he was in and left the room. Ever walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her. She put on the clothes and sat down in front of her mirror, so I could do her hair.

I picked up the Wet brush and brushed out her hair. Then, I dried her hair and watched the brown curls spring back to life. I parted her hair to the side and pinned it back with a bobby pin.

"There," I said setting down the hairbrush.

She thanked me and ran downstairs to the kitchen.

"Hi, Dad," she greeted Elliot and sat at the table.

"Hey, sweetheart," Elliot replied and kissed her on the head. My heart was about to explode at all the adorableness. Ugh, pregnancy hormones.

I went into the kitchen and pulled out the orange juice from the refrigerator. I set it down on the table and sat down next to Ever. Elliot joined us pretty soon with 3 plates of eggs.

"Here." He placed the plates down and handed us forks.

"Thanks, baby," I said and started eating.

"Dad?" Ever asked after a couple minutes of silence. "Never mind."

Elliot and I exchanged looks.

"Sweetheart, is everything okay?" Elliot asked Ever.

"Yeah," Ever mumbled and picked at her eggs. She waited until Elliot and I finished eating to speak again. "Can we go? I don't feel like eating right now."

Elliot frowned, but nodded. He cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher before grabbing our jackets.

"Ever, if something's wrong, you can talk to me," I said to Ever. "I'm always going to have your back no matter what."

"Thank you." Ever's voice was barely above a whisper.

"Ready?" Elliot asked, walking up to us.

I nodded and held my hand out to Ever. She hesitated but slipped her small hand into mine. We followed Elliot to the car. Ever sat in the back while Elliot and I were up front. The ride to the hospital was quiet other than the radio.

Once we got there, the three of us got out and made our way inside.

"Hi!" The receptionist greeted us with a huge smile.

"Hi, we have an appointment with Dr. Nevel for an ultrasound," I told her. She typed something into her computer.

"Jasper Banks?" She asked looking at me and then the screen.

"Yes," I confirmed.

"I got you checked in. They should call you, shortly."

"Thank you."

"Of course."

Elliot, Ever, and I went into the waiting room and took a seat while we waited to be called.

"Do you want a boy or a girl?" Elliot asked, suddenly. He rested his hand on my stomach.

"I don't know," I admitted. "I'm happy with either." I turned to Ever who was staring at the blue wall in front of us. "What about you Ever."

"Huh?" She looked at me.

"Do you want a brother or a sister?" I asked.

Ever shrugged. "It doesn't matter."

"Jasper?" A nurse called, walking into the room. I stood up and followed her with Elliot and Ever behind me.

"We're just going to basic stuff like measurements, blood pressure, and temperature. Then we'll get you ready for the scanning." The nurse explained.

She took a measuring tape and put it around my belly. Then she got my height and weight before moving on to do blood pressure and temperature. Once we finished the basic stuff she led me down a hallway and into a dim room.

"We'll get your ultrasound in here," She told me. Another nurse was in the room setting up something on the computer screen. When we walked in, he looked up and smiled before introducing himself as Alex Nevel, but to call him Alex. The first nurse that was with us exited the room after helping me lay down on the bed.

The ultrasound technician lifted my shirt up and rubbed some blue gel on my stomach.

"Mr.Avlet?" Alex asked Elliot. "Would you like to see your baby?"

Elliot stood up and walked closer to the screen. His lips parted in awe and his eyes twinkled with joy. Alex turned the screen, so that I could see as well.

A black and white x-ray image was on the screen of a little gray blob. Alex gently rubbed my stomach with the transducer causing the gray blob to become more visible.

He let out a low chuckle as a little pointy thing came into view. "This guy's getting straight to the point." He commented.

I looked at him with a "wtf" expression. "What do you mean?"

Elliot laughed. "We're having a boy, Jasp."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yup," Elliot nodded and kissed me on the head.

"I'm still confused," Ever piped up. "What the heck is that?" She pointed to the baby's penis that was visible on the screen.

I patted Elliot's shoulder and gave an innocent smile.

"I'll let you handle that."

•••

Thanks for reading:)

Comment & Vote

Love y'all ♥♥♥