Chapter Nine: Sandwiches and Pumpkin Juices

I was surrounded by piles of books at the library. My eyes were heavy from lack of sleep and my stomach's already killing me, knowing I haven't eaten anything except for a few biscuits that I kept on my bag. But I can't stop now. I've already learned many things about Medusa. Her history and such but it was unclear why she was really turned into a hideous beast. Most of it says that it was because she and the god of seas, Poseidon, were caught inside Athena's temple and the goddess of wisdom felt desecrated, so she turned the once beautiful maiden into something that no one dared to look at. But any of that doesn't help at all because nothing has been proven yet.

~Oh how I wish Hermione was here. She'd figure all this out in just a matter of seconds. Unlike me.~

I heaved a sigh and continued flipping through pages of very old books that made me cough. I was suddenly jolted awake when I spotted a photo of Medusa with someone who's very familiar even though I can't quite put my finger on. I stared at it for a while before finally deciding it is just someone who's very old that was put in history and someone whom I've probably just read about.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. If only my stomach is alive, it would have already killed me for not feeding it. I stood up and put all the books away before leaving the library, carrying my bag. But when I stepped out of the gigantic doors, I saw someone very unexpected.

~What is Malfoy doing here?~

We lock eyes for a few seconds before I quickly turned the other the other way and started walking. He ran up to follow me and he made a grab for my hand, which I quickly pulled away from him.

"About time you get out of that place! I've been waiting for you for ages!" He said.

I didn't say a word. Instead I looked away, at anything except him.

"Hey. I know your mad, but listen. I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean everything I said. I just have a lot of things in mind." He apologized.

But it wasn't enough for me. "Don't we all, Malfoy? Don't we?"

"You know what I'm going through, right? I was kinda hoping you would understand but I guess I was wrong."

~Ha! Trying reverse psychology on me, aren't you. Trying to make me feel guilty? No way!~

"Maybe you're right. Maybe I DON'T Understand so would you just leave me alone?" I said before turning on my heel.

But again, he made a grab for my arm (which I avoided). I turned to face him and said, "What do you want Malfoy?"

"I wanted to apologize, Renee. I'm really really sorry."

I gave a smirk and said "Too late. Why are you even apologizing? Because you already learned that I have figured out the identity of the monster?"

"You did?" He asked confusedly "I came here to sincerely apologize and give you this." He said, handing me a sandwich and some pumpkin juice. "I know you haven't eaten all day. Are you trying to kill yourself?"

"Who cares if I do? You'd like that won't you?" I said.

"No.. I won't. But, Sparks..Have you really-" He started but I cut him halfway through his sentence.

"Yes I have and I have no intention of telling you what-so-ever. You said it yourself. I shouldn't try helping you again. So here I am, doing research to help my friends, not you." I told him.

"But Renee. I need y-" He started again.

"Sorry Malfoy. You're too late. If you continue this, my mind would be fixed upon the fact that you're only using me for you own personal advantage." I turned around, anxious to get rid of him.

Instead of taking my arm again, he simply called out "Fine then.. But I'm not.. I'm sorry.."

After a few seconds, I looked over my shoulder and I saw him, walking away sadly. He might have really been apologizing for real. But it's too late. Waaay too late. I glanced upon the food I was holding and took a second thought about eating it. Who knows? It might contain poison! But my hunger took oover and I took a bite, before smiling to myself and looking over to him again.

I walked outside to the greenhouses for Herbology but my mind was still left at the library.

~Maybe he really does care..~