Chapter Sixteen: Medusa

I rushed towards the sound of Cedric's voice. I ran and ran, not really noticing that Draco was following shortly after me. Before I knew it, I was standing at the end of a long, dimly lit chamber. Towering stone pillars entwined with more serpents, rose to a ceiling lost in darkness, casting long, black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place. As my eyes adjusted to the absence of real light, I saw her standing a few feet in front of me. She was towering over a stone statue that is so familiar that I let out a gasp.

"No.." I whispered.

Suddenly, the cloaked figured whipped her head towards my direction. I was standing there frozen. My eyes drifted from the ground and up and up until my eyes reached her red lips. I continued looking up, until I saw her finely carved nose. I continued staring at her until suddenly......

"Renee! What are you doing!"

That was Draco. He was covering my eyes with one of his hands. Both of us fell on the floor and I snapped out of my confusion. I shut my eyes completely and crawled near my savior.

"Close your eyes. Don't look at her." He reminded me.

"I know I know." I told him.

I heard a few swishing sounds and a cackle.

"Ahhh.. You came, as expected. Come dear.. I promise it won't be painful." She said.

I shut my eyes tighter as I shouted "Never!"

"Ahh.. feisty, I like that. Hmm.."

I heard a muffled scream as I felt Draco being dragged away from me. I looked at the floor and opened my eyes a little. I saw a pair of feet dangling from the air. I was sure it was Draco.

"Leave him alone!" I shrieked.

"Make me."

I pulled out my wand and pointed at her, still looking at the ground. "Stupefy!"

She side-stepped easily and let out a laugh. "Are you sure you're a gryffindor?"

I felt rage well up inside me. I saw Draco's feet swung wildly. I realized he was being choked by Medusa's claw-like fingers.

I racked my head for a spell that can help me but nothing came. I cast the first reasonable thing that came into my mind. "Conjunctivitis!"

Instantly, Her hands flew to her eyes, covering them. Draco fell on the floor with a thud. I ran beside him and he held my hand.

"You little mudblood!" She shrieked. "You don't know how long I had to spend in Tartarus just to regrow my eyes! You'll pay. I was just about to turn you to stone but after what you did, I'll make sure this will be bloody."

She blasted the Snake statues over our head and I literally dragged Draco just so that he will not get hit. He stirred a little and I shook him.

"Wake up!! Wake up!"

"uhh??" He said, groggily.

Medusa pointed her hands towards Draco, who rose up to the air. Then she whipped her hand to a corner and that's where Draco fell. He let out a disgruntled shriek and closed his eyes.

Medusa grinned evilly. "He'll just be an obstacle in our fight. Come, duel me."

I stood up on my feet, knees wobbly. I pointed my wand at her chest and exclaimed "Flipendo!"

But she just swat my spell away, making a few walls succumb to the floor. "It's my turn now." 

She then blasted the ceilings on top of me, which I easily dodged. I pointed my wand at a nearby boulder "Wingardium Leviosa!" and sent it flying towards the monster. I saw a surprised look emerged from her face as the huge rock hit her in the face. I used this opportunity to run and hide behind a pile of rubble. I sat there with my whole body trembling while clutching my wand tightly. It was my only hope.

"Come out come out wherever you are!! You want to play hide and seek? Okay then." She said.

There was a swishing sound again, like she was walking on water. Then I noticed that my robes were wet too, that's when I realized that she might've blasted some water pipes. I was busy inspecting the water when suddenly, the monster popped her ugly head beside me. "Boo. Got'cha."

I was so surprised that I didn't think about what to do next. I was partly shocked too and I punched her in the face. This time she was ready. She grabbed my wrist and threw me across the ground. I held my back that was aching, I restrained myself from crying. I bit my lip so hard that the metallic taste of blood rushed through my mouth. I watched in horror as she took her time walking towards me, with an evil grin on her face.

Her eyes were heavily damaged that I can look at it directly. I gulped when I noticed that it was just an empty socket., It was horribly scary. She pointed her hand on my wand which I clutched tighter than ever. It was like me holding on to a lifeline which was true.

It's my only defense. Then she snapped her slender fingers and my wand shuttered to tiny pieces. Tears were now ready to flow. But I decided against it. I picked a nearby rock and threw it at her.

She laughed at my weak attempt and crumbled it to dust. Her hand was now pointed at my chest, an orb of light gathering and glowing bright red was visible on her palm. She laughed maniacally as she let the orb continue absorbing power.

"I told you.. After what you've done to my precious eyes, I'll be making sure you'll experience a very very painful and bloody death. I'll blow you into bits!! Any last words, mudblood?" She said, towering over me.

I know when a battle is already lost. I am defeated. I failed my friends. I failed my house. I failed myself. Cedric was wrong. I don't deserve being accepted here at Hogwarts. I don't deserve to live.

I shifted slowly to my side, eyes closed as I prepare to face death.

~It's over. It's all over. A battle not so well fought. Goodbye world..~