Chapter Five: Getting Involved

After a few minutes, I saw that the chaos has been lessened and it was time for me to go back. I made a bee-line for the hospital wing but I saw Professor Dumbledore talking with Professor McGonagall and Snape. I stopped behind the large doors and peeked in, trying to listen as much as possible.

"This is not good Albus. Three students in one night. Not a good sign." Professor McGonagall said.

The headmaster nodded gravely and turned to Professor Snape "What do you think Severus?"

"Not good at all. The chamber has been re-opened but this time, it is no longer the work of the Dark Lord. We must act at once." He said in his normal cold voice.

Professor Dumbledore cast a swift glance at Harry, Hermione, and Ron's stone bodies before giving a sigh "These kids. Why is it always them?"

"I don't have a clue, Albus. I don't have a clue." Professor McGonagall said.

"We'll get to the bottom of this. One way or another. But I will not be risking another student's life. We will be taking matters in our own hands." The headmaster declared. "Only if we have something to start with" 

"The re-opening of the chamber. There must be another creature hidden there. We must make a search. The only problem is, no one else could open the chamber. Only these three knows the location of the Chamber of Secrets. Without them, we're on to a blind chase." Professor McGonagall said.

"I'll find a way. We will get to the bottom of this." Professor Snape said before swooping out of the room. I quickly shuffled and squeezed myself behind the huge oak doors. I didn't notice my uniform was visible but Snape did.

"What, may I ask, are you doing there, Ms. Sparks? At this late hour? Eaves dropping, I presume, though it's unlikely of you." Snape said with his arms crossed.

"I. errmm. Sorry Professor." I said weakly. "I was just..uhh.." 

I was never a good liar! Probably because I never had the reason to. I racked my head for a reasonable thing to say until.

"She's with me, Professor." A voice said.

Professor and I both turned towards the sound of the voice. I was dumbfounded to see Cedric heading our way. 

I saw the potions master smirk and asked "Ahh. if it isn't the golden boy himself. Out with Ms. Sparks eh? I guess you have a thing for muggleborns. I just can't help but notice. First Ms. Granger. Now her? Anyway, what are you TWO doing here at this late hour?"

I was sick in my stomach about this and I felt that I might vomit any minute. 

"I'm a Prefect Professor. And she's doing some-let's say-punishments. So if you could excuse us, Professor." He said dismissively, grabbing my arm and dragging me away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~""""""""~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey. Am I in trouble? I asked.

We were already far away from Professor Snape but I was still trembling. Cedric might've noticed it too so he took off the windbreaker that he was wearing and draped it around me.

"You would have. If not for me." He chuckled. "You need to come up with white lies once in a while you know."

I didn't know how to respond. I felt shy and nervous. I decided to keep my mouth shut.

We walked in silence until we passed by a nearby lavatory. 

"What are you REALLY doing out there anyway?" He asked finally.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to him abruptly. Without answering his question, I asked "Cedric. Tell me honestly. Do you still have feelings for Hermione?"

He thought for a moment and exhaled "I will be lying if I say no. I mean, Come on! She dumped me not a few days ago. Love doesn't change overnight you know? But I'm happy for her. Genuinely. Why ask anyway?"

"Cedric this is important. Are you willing to help me?" I asked him looking straight at his eyes.

"Help where?" 

"In rescuing them. You got to know something but before that. I need to know if you're in. So, are you?" 

"You have a plan? You know something don't you?" He asked, wide eyed.

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. How many times do I have to tell him?!

"Oh sorry sorry.. I'm just.. Ermm.."

"Just answer the friggin' question! Are in or not?" I asked a bit irritated. 

"O-Of Course! My, you sound like Malfoy."

I avoid his look and realized that I DID Sound like Malfoy. "I..I'm sorry I'm just..I'm really.."

He let out a laugh and patted me on the back "Hey, it's okay." Then he turned serious "Anyway, what have you been talking about?"

I told him everything I know. He turned extremely pale when I mentioned that I knew who the OTHER heir was. After explaining everything, I told him. "That's it. But don't tell a single soul about this or your dead!"

He nodded slowly "I got it. So what's the plan?"

The truth was I haven't came up with an exact plan right now. But we're going to need all the help we can get. "Nothing at the moment. But I'll come up with something. Tomorrow morning, we'll meet up with Draco and Brainstorm."

"What?! We'll be working with Malfoy?" He exclaimed.

I put a finger on my lips "Not so loud!. And yes, he's the heir after all. We're going to need him."

He looked doubtful for a minute or two before finally giving in. "I guess, you're right. So tomorrow morning?"

"Tomorrow morning. For now, get some rest." 

"Okay. Good Night Sparks." he stopped before continuing "Oh, by the way. Don't get caught." He winked before disappearing in the corridors.

~Merlin's Bloody beard..~

I guess the "Tough girl" Attitude failed because my heart fluttered. I shook my head smiling. It's just a simple crush anyway. It'll fade. And he likes Hermione still, I can't compete about that. And besides, it's not love.

I think.