Chapter Twenty: Ever Ever After

"Draco Malf-Ow!"

As you could've guessed, that was me, calling out to Draco just before I slipped and fell. I never knew the path from to the other side of the lake was downhill and steep. After my talk with Cedric, I decided it's time to settle everything once and for all but my brave facade faded when I landed face first on a muddy puddle.

"Renee? Are you alright?" Draco said helping me up.

"If you fell from that height and landed on this! Would you feel alright?!" I exclaimed.

"Whoa! Sorry. I'm just concerned." He told me.

Then I remembered the true reason why I came here so I instantly dropped the tough girl act.

"No. I'm sorry. I..I've been too hard on you." I said, not looking at him.

"It's okay." He smiled "Do you want to go in first and change? Oh, and how are you feeling? Does your hand still hurt?"

I almost agreed but adrenaline kept me on my toes. I was excited to hear what I wanted to hear but also, nervous because everything can change in just a simple sentence.

"I'm fine. Kinda. Listen, we need to talk." I said slowly.

"About what?"

I racked my head for the perfect thing to say but it was empty. I decided to say the first thing that came to my mind.

"Thank you.."

"What?"

"Nothing.."

"You said thank you?" He asked, teasingly.

"No way! Why would I thank a git like you?"

"Because I saved your life?"

"You did? I can't remember. In fact I can't remember anything that happened."

"Really?" He asked, quite surprised. He could be so dumb sometimes.

I rolled my eyes before answering "I'm kidding. I remember everything." I looked at him in the eyes and continued "And when I say everything, I mean, everything. Is there something you'd like to discuss?" I said all that coolly but deep inside, I'm shaking with anticipation and fear.

He heaved a sigh and said "Actually, there's one thing I'd like to know..."

Raising an eyebrow I asked "Yeah?"

"Don't you..I mean why did you...I can't keep this off my mind and I'm dying to know..Well..Renee..uhmm.." He stammered.

"What?!" I blurted out. The suspense was killing me.

"Don't you like me? I mean, that's the only logical reason that I can come up to. The reason why you broke that kiss..Back in the chamber. Or is it because I'm such a bad kisser?" He explained, not looking at me.

~Finally..~

"How can I like someone who made my life a living hell? Answer me that, Malfoy." I told him.

He sighed and started to stand up, "I knew it, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up." He mumbled before starting to walk away.

"Hey!!" I called after him "I'm not yet done!"

But my words fell on deaf ears he continued walking away. I tried to run after him but as I stood up, my left ankle shot up a burst of pain, making me tumble into the icy cold water. I tried to swim but I was slowly sinking while oxygen ran out of my body, practically because I was panicking.