Chapter Three: The Heir of Slytherin

I sat at our common room, completely worried. I might be next. But beside me, Hermione's in trouble too. She just came back from the dead. It's too much for her to handle I'm sure. Harry was just having the best time of his life. He was with Hermione. I feel happy for both of them. But I'm worried for Cedric too. He's broken-hearted and in need of comfort but being a prefect is a hard thing. I stood up and walked out of the common room. As I step out of the portrait hole, I caught the fat lady staring at me.

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

She rolled her eyes and said "How rude. No wonder the heir wants muggle-borns. The brainy Granger is not really that nice too.. Hmm.. two people are in the shack but I could care less. They won't be missed anyway." 

I glared at her. She was nice and caring sometimes but most of the times, she's plain irritating to the point that I want to strangle her.

~~~~~~~~~""""""""~~~~~~~~~~

I walked along the corridors to look for Cedric. Then I heard the whispers.

"No. I won't do it! You've already forced me to do the writings. I won't do it again! I'm going to close it and I'll never open it ever again!" 

My eyes grew to the size of galleons. I hid behind a large marble statue and peeked. I was so shocked to see who it was.

"No. No. No! Leave me alone!' Draco shrieked, while covering his ears. "I'm not your heir! I'm not the dark lord!" 

~He opened the chamber? He's the OTHER heir?~ 

I listened more intently..

"Please, I'm begging you. Why me? I won't follow you're orders anymore..." He was on the verge of crying but he still remained his true self "Of course I'm not scared. Why would I? It's just..It's not worth it. What will I get?" 

There was silence as if he was listening to something. Then he gasped and finally let tears stream down his face. "Don't hurt them! Please. They're the only ones I've got after my family's gone. Please! Okay. Okay I'll do it. Just don't hurt them!" 

A gust of wind blew that sent chills down my spine.. Then it was replaced by muffled sobs. I slowly walked towards Draco, who was sitting on one corner with his face buried in his hands. He was shaking and even more pale.

"Hey." I said. "What happened to you?"

He looked up with red, blood-shot eyes. "Wh-What do you want. Leave me alone. Ahh. Go on then. Laugh. That's what you want right? Fine. Go ahead."

For the first time, my heart felt sorry for him. I never could've imagined. I knelt beside him and brushed some stray wet hair across his face. "You look horrible? What happened?" I asked again.

Instead of answering, he asked back "How long were you there?"

"Long enough to hear almost everything." I paused for a while before continuing “Is it true?" 

He sat there without saying anything. I nodded and stood up "I guess it is true."

Then he did something that I NEVER could have imagined. It was weird. Everything was. He held my hand and stood up quickly. He was behind me and out of nowhere, he wrapped his arms around me and pleaded "Please. D-don't tell on me, Renee. I am the other heir. B-but believe me, I never wanted to. I never intended to. I did the writings on the wall only because he forced me. I don't want to do it anymore. But he'll kill my remaining family. I don't want that to happen either. Help me Renee. Please. Help me." 

I felt hot tears rolling down my face. I can feel how torn he was. I've never heard him so scared before. He just lost his parents. He has almost no one left. Draco was longing for someone. He wanted his family back. That's when I realized that behind all his tough-guy attitude lies a very soft and vulnerable Draco. And there he was telling me everything. Spilling his darkest secrets. Trusting me with his life.

Am I right? He, DRACO MALFOY, the biggest bully, was entrusting me with something. Something which his family and even his own life depended on?

As if realizing what happened. He quickly pulled away from me with wide eyes. It was like he snapped out of a confusion. "Wh-why..I.” He stammered. "F-forget everything, Sparks. P-pretend nothing happened. I-I didn't do anything and you haven't heard a single th-thing.." He ran away just like that, stumbling a little.

~What's wrong with him? I can't understand.~

But now, I feel I was part of something. I held a very fragile information. An information that might save others' lives. But am I ready to spill and tell on Draco? Why not? He's always been such a pain for me. It's time to get even. But will it be worth it?