Chapter Eighteen: The sword of the Lions

I just sat there frozen. Still holding my paining right hand with my left one. I noticed that the pain was searing upwards. My skin was growing pale purple and the venom was most likely already up to my veins in my elbows. I watched her silently as she looks down on me with her empty eye sockets. I decided that should keep her going. Deciding that dying due to poisoning would be heaven compared to being blasted into bits.

"The basilisk.." I whispered "Your child was the basilisk."

"Yes.." She hissed. "The basilisk that your friend Potter killed!"

I was already clawing the ground with my nails. The pain gets worse as every minute passed but I still continued talking. "You mean..the real reason of ..of the ridge between slytherin's and gryffindor's friendship was ..you? Not because of Salazar's hatred for non- purebloods?

"No.. it was a contributing factor. And because of the years we spent together, I have actually gotten his point. Mudbloods and half-bloods doesn't deserve to be here. They're just a waste of space. Considering they have very slight chances of becoming real Witches and Wizards." She said, letting out a laugh.

I glared at her and caught my breath. I'm already at the point of dying. Only a few minutes, or even seconds was left before the poison reaches my heart. I was defenseless.

I hoped and prayed inside my head.

~Godric Gryffindor. Help me survive this monster.. Please...Let me live long enough..Long enough to prove to you how worthy and proud I am to be in your house.~

"Time to finish you off, you filthy mudblood!" She said as she pointed her hand towards me.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Draco slowly regaining consciousness. He was rubbing his head with droopy eyes. He was suddenly jolt awake when something I couldn't see emerged beside him. He glanced up to me and we locked eyes for a few seconds. He slid the thing as close to me as possible and it ended up behind a pile of rubble. Then, he picked up a rock and threw it towards Medusa's head.

The monster jerked her head in his direction and muttered "I'll deal with you later, I'm going to finish this fake heir first." Then she came sliding towards him as I crawled to claim the 'thing'. I was surprised to see what it was! The sorting hat. But there was something shiny peeking out of it. I held it in my hand and saw a faint etching.

"Godric Gryffindor." I whispered. It was Gryffindor's sword!

I pulled it away from the hat, which I shoved into my pocket, slowly. I was holding it with both hands, trying to steady myself. I crept up behind them and I noticed they were talking.

"...think you're really are a heir of Slytherin? Poor insolent boy.. How could you be? You're not in any way associated with the Dark Lord, who was the last heir by blood... You were brought here because you were weak! And you desire something greatly. I've learned the ways of Salazar and I figured out that the key to make you follow my orders is through your heart." She hissed, pointing towards his heart.

"Wh-What do you mean?? And if I..I'm not the heir, then who?" He stammered. I can see agony and terror in his eyes. I don't know why I just don't slice her head off but maybe because I was curious. I wanted to know more.

"I know you're in despair right now. And you know? Your parents have been loyal to the heir. That's enough reason to keep you alive. But you switched sides. And now, I know that you're a blood traitor and I believe that Slytherin would agree that you don't deserve to live. Salazar was my husband. If basilisk was mortal, he would've been the true heir. But now he's gone and so is Lord Voldemort, I am now the heir of Slytherin."

She said before laughing out, maniacally. She glared down at him and screeched "Say goodbye to the world, Fake heir.."

"Say goodbye to the world and hello to Tartarus, Medusa!" I exclaimed.

Just as I swung the sword to decapitate her, she whipped her head in my direction and saw a mix of emotion flashed through her face. Her body burst into golden dust. My eyes were slowly closing but there was enough time to see some of it land on Cedric's stone body and it slowly cracked, revealing Diggory unharmed. In fact, he looked better. Better than me that is.

My legs gave me away that instant and I fell to the floor, sending the sword skidding a few meters away. Then I remembered my friends. I pulled out the sorting hat and placed lots of golden dust inside it. More than enough for them, I think.

The boys came rushing towards me and Draco put my head in his lap.

"Renee.. Renee can you hear me?"

But I ignored him, there are more important things. Instead, I grabbed Cedric's hand and made him clutch the hat with the golden dust. "Y-You know what to do..Bring her head back to the h-headmaster too.." I smiled faintly before pointing to Gryffindor's sword. "T-Take it b-back..And Cedric.. Y-You were right... G-Gryffindor h-helped me..he was p-proud to have me in his h-house..I p-pulled the sword out of the hat. I...I d-did it.."

Cedric stroked a few strands of loose hair from my face and nodded, smiling "Yes..Yes you do.. I told you so.."

I flinched as the pain reached the nerves in my shoulder. The ache was so strong, it felt like acid was flowing through it. I saw a faint light from above and raised my hand to try and reach it. There was a smile on my face knowing I saved them all..That I did something Gryffindor-worthy. That light was the last thing I saw before everything went pitch black.