Chapter Thirteen: Confessions and Quidditch

After Transfiguration, I resumed my search for Cedric. I almost already gave up until I reached the quidditch pitch. I saw him riding on his broom flying around. Then I remembered the upcoming quidditch match later today.

"Hey Diggory!" I called out while shading my eyes from the sun.

He looked down and furrowed his brows a bit before he smiled and flew next to me. "Hey Sparks, I thought it wasn't you. Anyway, what's up?"

I stared at the ground as he dismount his broom. "Uhmm.. I..It's about the thing that happened earlier.."

"Earlier? What is it?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

"About what you saw..me and Draco..I.."

A surprised look spread upon his face and he let out a chuckle "Oh? I wonder why you're saying this to me. But I guess we'll be having a little talk. Come on." He said as I followed him near a shady tree. When both of us were settled I took a deep breath.

"Well..I saw you and you looked.. unhappy..I didn't know what to think of your reaction so I thought it would be better if I clear things up." I started.

He laughed a little and said "Me? Unhappy? Oh no.. no really. I just realized I haven't practiced that well this past few days but I reassure you. I'm not..ermm.. as you put it unhappy.. Really."

I was stunned. I really thought he was affected by it. To tell you the truth, I thought he kinda liked me. "So you mean you're not..ermm.. jealous? Or you.. you haven't felt anything? I mean.. I'm not saying that..I..you.." I stammered.

His face turned serious and looked at me in the eye. "Listen, Sparks. You're really really a great girl. And I'm terribly sorry if you felt that I was leading you unto something but, I just don't feel the same way. I know you know who's in my heart at the moment. It's Hermione. I'm sorry but right now, the farthest thing we can have is friendship. I'm sorry Renee.."

"Oh! I.. no.. It's.. it's okay.. I didn't mean it that way.. I never expected anything more from you Cedric. And I know you still fancy Hermione, not that I can't blame you of course. But here's the thing..." I said then paused.

~It's now or never..~

"Cedric. You're an awesome person. I'm sure you're aware of that. I would be lying to you and to myself if I deny that I don't..that I'm not..that I wasn't crushing on you this past week. Or weeks in that case but-" I bit my lip and stared on the ground, unsure if I should continue or not. I was blushing terribly.

But instead of being angry and shouting at me, he laughed good-naturedly and said, "don't you think I have already figured that out? But Renee, I didn't give any meaning to that. I turned a blind eye because I know you. You don't like me. I know it. You're young, and you're looking for distractions because you're scared. Scared to really fall for someone."

"You knew?! Well, I can say you're good at hiding it and really I like you. Really really do. But not to the extreme.. I mean not now, in the past maybe but I guess you're right. I'm scared to admit everything to myself. I know I like you but not that kind of like. It's just so..so complicated right now." I sighed.

"Hey, don't worry. I know what you're going through. Trust me."

"I do." I said, smiling. Then I shook my head "Well, I think I've kept you long enough. You should go. Go practice. I wouldn't want you to lose just because of me."

"Even if I have to beat the Slyths? Meaning you're 'Sweetie'?" He asked teasingly.

I swat him playfully and said "That! Ugh I don't know why he did that but.. go get him for me, will you?"