Chapter Ten: Salazar Slytherin

All through Herbology, I noticed Cedric giving me this worried glances. I realized I really have been at the library the whole time after my fight with Draco. I avoided his gaze and tried to concentrate on my work. After class, I quickly gathered my things and rushed out of the green house.

I heard Cedric calling behind me "Renee! Hey Renee wait up!!"

I quickened my pace but he still managed to catch up with me.. He faced me but I just shook my head and continued walking. He let out a laugh and went in front of me, walking backwards. "Hey, you okay? You seemed pretty preoccupied back there. Is it about your little fight with Malfoy?"

"Shut it Diggory. I'm not in the mood for your jokes." I said, pushing him away.

Determined to talk, his face turned serious as he grabbed my shoulders and turned me to him. "I'm not kidding. Really. What's wrong? I know it has something to do about that. You know you can tell me."

I sigh before telling him "It's not really that. I'm just..just worried about what we have to face to save the trio. It's like an impossible feat."

"Nothing's impossible." He said, smiling. "You just need to stay strong and believe in yourself. That's what matters."

"That's the point! I'm not as self confident as you or the others. There's nothing I could be proud of. And I'm not that strong.. I just like, go with the flow..In fact, during the sorting, I really thought I don't belong to Gryffindor. I'm not brave. Not even possibly in Ravenclaw, I'm not that smart. Surely not Hufflepuff, I'm not nice and hard-working. So then I thought I belong to Slytherin just before realizing I'm neither resourceful nor ambitious. I felt..I feel..That I just don't belong.. Like I'm not meant to be a witch. I'm a mudblood after all.." I ranted.

He smiled reassuringly at me before saying "You think so but your heart proves you wrong. Why are you doing this, Renee? Why are you risking your life? To save your friends, right? And that, for me and for many others, is the bravest and most noble thing of all. I'm sure your house founder is so proud to have you in his house."

That moment I felt good about myself. I never have really given a thought about that. About how others look at me. All I care about is what I see in myself, not really knowing that someone might appreciate the things that I do. And that someone can make me feel proud of my house. Proud of myself.

I smiled back at him and said "Thank you Cedric. For that. I never felt this good before. Thank you.."

He patted me lightly on the shoulder "No Problem. It's good that you're happy."

"Cedric.." I started..

"Yeah?"

"Even the bravest of gryffindors needs a friend on her adventures right? She can never do anything alone." I asked.

He nodded slightly, smiling as if knowing what will come next.

"Will you be that friend? Help me get through this? I can never face her alone. Without someone..Well..To help.. And encourage.." I stammered a bit.

He chuckled and engaged me in a tight hug. I was completely shocked out of my senses that I didn't know how to respond. My brain functioned again only when he pulled away and said "Of course. We started it together, We end it together."

I smiled and decided "Then I guess it's time for you to know a very valuable piece of information."

I led him across the castle grounds and plopped down under a willow tree. He followed and sat beside me. Then I started to tell him everything that I learned. He listened carefully nodding and trying to hide his surprise. When I finished, he ran his hand through his hair and bit his lip.

"So, what do you think we should do?" I asked.

"No.. before that.. does Draco know about this?"

I shook my head and looked away. "No..I-I haven't told him.. Why should I?"

"Because he's in extreme danger, Renee.. Don't you know? Medusa is known for seducing men and then killing them. Ages ago, she had many suitors and she uses them all to her advantage. She never took anybody seriously except for one..." His eyes widened, surprised.

I choked down a laugh "So you..you think she fancies Draco? Oh please!!"

But his face turned serious. But Bright serious. Like he has finally found the answer to the world's hardest problem. He formed a cheeky grin before whispering "It fits.. It all fits. Renee! It fits!"

Now it's time for me to get confused. "What fits?"

"Medusa took only one suitor seriously.." He said, hoping I'll get it somehow.

"So?" I said, expectantly.

He rolled his eyes playfully. "Medusa only LOVED one person in her whole life. Salazar Slytherin."