6 ♫ fairness

♫ Present

♫ Rory

I sat in my room that night feeling needy for my Mama. I wrapped myself in the doona and whimpered a little. I got my iPhone after I heard it ding and saw that Mama texted me.

Mama: hey sweet girl, I wanted to let you know how proud I was when I watched you last night singing. I didn't know my little girl could sing so well! I love you so much and I miss you a lot too!

Rory: MAMA! I was just lying here wanting your arms around me because I was missing you. Thanks mama, I thank you for giving me lessons from Marissa. And for doing your best as a single parent to raise me up to be the person I am now. I love you so much and I miss you a lot too! But, mama? I really want you here with me during the next 10 weeks to comfort me and to look after me. And to see me compete. I need my mama.

I sent it with a sad smile and saw she read it but there was no typing bubble. Suddenly I got a text from Noah and I blushed quickly.

Noah: Hey shortie!

Rory: Oh, hey there nickle!

Noah: nickle, hey? ;)

Rory: Hm, because people think you aren't worth much but you are worth so much.

Noah: aw you are just a little bit too cute for me, shortie. x) anyway, another exciting day ahead of us. Good night shortie.

Rory: good night nickle :D

I turned off my iPhone ignoring Sophia's texts and did I realize how much she needed me that night? No. The next day, I woke up with my door slamming open. "Sophia!" I whispered as I wiped my eyes and she looked tired. She had red brimmed eyes and I quickly went up to her worried. "Sweetie, what is going on?"

"My mother.." She whispered as she covered her face with her hands and I held her at arms length before wrapping my arms around her body. "She told me she is dying, Rory!"

"Oh my god.." I sighed as I rocked us side to side then started to hum softly. "Oh honey." That morning changed us both and all I wanted do was to be there for both of them. So after a while, I put Soph in my bed as I could see she was exhausted and dialed Noah.

"Shortie, you are late!" Noah exclaimed in a dramatic sing-song tone because usually I am there early but it was nearly time for filming to start.

"Hey sorry.." I whispered into the phone as I walked to my door so I wouldn't wake up a stirring Sophia. "A friend really needs me today."

"More than these rehearsals?" Noah questioned as she sounded confused but also concern. "I know you think you got this shortie but you need to do these rehearsals with Demi. You need to be your best for Saturday!"

"It is more important.." I exclaimed gently with a sigh. "She found out her mother is dying and I am really close to her family as well."

"Oh." Noah sounded embarrassed and I covered my eyes.

"It's okay, would you let Demi know?" So, after saying our good byes. I turned around to see Sophia sleeping but she still had a distressed look on her face and I decided to call her mother.

"Rory!"

"Hey Taylor." I quietly responded and heard her sigh.

"She is there, isn't she?" She whispered into the phone to me and I looked at Sophia with a nod.

"Yeah.. I am so sorry." I quickly responded and heard a quiet sniffle. "I am taking a day off from the filming for x factor to look after her."

"Thanks so much, Rory but you have to go. I will come around." Taylor quickly spoke and heard her shuffling around. She then hung up before I could say something and I sighed as Sophia woke up.

"She wasn't herself for months.." She spoke as I sat at the end of the bed and I looked at her face. She had already lost her father when she was only a child, now she was about to lose her Mother. It wasn't fair. "I should of known."

"Sophia.."

"No Rory!" She suddenly sat up as tears rolled her blue eyes. "She has only a few months to live and I only have that many to have her." I heard footsteps approaching my room and I watched Sophia crumble as her mother ran in. "Mummy!" She cried out as Taylor came over to bring her into a hug. I wiped the tears that rolled down my eyes then Taylor caught my gaze and brought me into the hug too. That day changed the way we three looked at life. I almost quit x factor but then Demi happen.

The next few days were a bit of a blur since I was still in shock by the news of Taylor dying but I couldn't really pause to think about it. I sat next to Noah with our legs dipped in the pool during the lunch break and I wasn't really speaking. "How is your friend?" I looked up and Noah offered a small smile.

"She isn't doing so well.." I whispered and Noah sighed softly with a sad smile. "They are so close especially since her father left them when she was only 6."

"Such a bad thing to happen." Noah commented and I rested my head on her shoulder feeling her comfort was needed right now. Mama hasn't even replied to my text from that day when I broke the news to her. Suddenly, Demi walked out to us and sat herself next to me.

"What's going on with the happy, up-beat girl these past few days hey?" Demi stroked my cheek gently and I looked at her with a sad frown. Demi looked at Noah with that silent look and Noah got up to leave us alone. "Now.. Talk to me, honey." I felt that motherly warmth from Demi and it felt so nice so I told her everything from not being able to see my Mama to Sophia's mother dying to me having doubts about being on x factor. "Well, I think you should stay.. You have to stay."

"Why?"

"You have the potential to win this, okay?" Demi spoke softly and slowly as she made me look at her. "You have to stay.. Sophia isn't going to want you to not follow your dreams." I sighed as she got up and left me to think it over. "Meet me in the piano room in 10."

"Thanks for not quitting." Sophia whispered as we sat in her house on Friday night and I looked at her with a soft smile. "You will win this." I laughed and she smiled at me.

"I don't want to think too much ahead like that." I replied back as Taylor and auntie Rachel walked in. "Auntie Rach, has Mama spoken to you?" She nodded as she took a seat and I looked down at my iPhone when Taylor grabbed our phones.

"No phones at the dinner table, girlies." Taylor laughed as she saw our shocked faces. Things were almost normal like Taylor wasn't dying and I wasn't famous. It was great for that short period of time because we forgot what was happening and enjoyed each other's company. Then, we remembered when Taylor got more and more tired that night. Sophia and I helped her up to her room then tucked her in. We walked out and I looked at Sophia who looked exhausted too.

"I didn't think to tell you how bad she gets after dinner.." She whispered looking away and I looked at her then used my index finger to lift up her chin with a sad smile.

"It wouldn't of mattered.." I whispered and saw tears form in her eyes. I quickly hugged her as she cried silently into my hair. It really wasn't fair.