34 ♫ mending broken bridges

♫ Present

♫ Rory

We had started a little bonfire on the beach with wood and I was now sat on the sand in Mama's arms in silence. "You know, I can practically hear your thoughts over this silence." I whispered gently and Mama giggled gently as she rubbed my arm gently. 

"Sorry bub, just taking all this in." Mama replied back as I felt her kissed the top of my head with a soft sigh. "And thinking how lucky I am to be holding you in my arms right now." I smiled to myself and turned around slightly to look at her.

"This feels so surreal." I whispered as I looked at my Mama who she has always been but for what she also hid. "I never thought my Mama who something more than just a pretty face." She giggled as I put on a country accent for the fun of it. "Sing for me."

"Sing?" Mama laughed gently as I lied back down to rest my head in her lap and let my eyes gaze into hers. "I will sing for you, my love."

She sang gently as I closed my eyes to pay attention to my Mama's voice. I smiled as she rang her fingers through my hair as she sang 'Give me love' by Ed Sheeran. Her voice was so angelic that it brought tears to my eyes now realizing where I got my talent for singing came from. Once she stopped singing, I felt her finger wipe the tears away gently and heard her sigh softly. I opened my eyes after a few seconds and saw Mama smiling sadly at me. "You have such an amazing voice, Mama."

"So do you, my love." She whispered back gently still gently massaging my head.  I then sat up and gave her a hug which she returned happily. "Those wigs.." I looked over to the box with a sigh. "Are you ready to get rid of them?"

"Are you?" I whispered back as I raised my eye brows a little knowing it was her that needed to get rid of them. She stood up with a nod of her head then picked up the box as I stood up to follow her closer to the fire. "Those are such pretty wigs.."

"I don't need them anymore." Mama replied back as she suddenly threw the box in and wrapped her arms around me then rested her head on my shoulder as we watched the fire eat it up. "Baby?" I nodded. "This will never change who we were before.. I am the same person."

"I know that." I spoke with gentleness and a small smile on my face. "But I love you more than I did before."

"Really?" Mama sounded really excited and I nodded. "I love you more too.."

  ♫ 

It was midnight when we came back home to find Maddie asleep on the lounge and a note from the grandparents that they went back to theirs to sleep. I smiled at Mama who was looked towards Maddie with amusement. "She is so precious."

"She is." I agreed gently with a little smile and walked to my room to get in my PJ's. I was about to get into bed when a knock brought my eyes to the door where Mama stood with a smile. 

"Could I tuck you, princess?" I nodded with a smile and she walked over with happiness which made my smile widen. I lied in the bed and let her throw the doona on me gently. "Remember when I used to do this all the time?"

"Yeah.. I do." I gently confirmed and her smiled widen as she tucked in the edges so I was snuggled in. "I still enjoy it."

"Noted." Mama replied back with a short laugh and looked up at me with her big brown eyes. "I can still read green eggs and ham if you wanted?" She took out the book from the back of her and I laughed a little.

"Well sure, why not?" I replied back with a grin and she laughed too. 

She opened the book and begun to read with happiness. "I am Sam. Sam I am.."

 ♫ Demi

I read then noticed Rory had slipped into sleep land. "Aw my baby.." I whispered under my breath as I closed the book and placed it on her bedside table then took her iPhone which was in her hand and connected it to her power point near her bedside table. I gently moved her hair behind her ear and gave her a gentle peck on the cheek. "Good night, sweet dreams don't let the bed bugs bite." I whispered to her gently hoping she could sleep a little easier and I gently got up to dim the lights but knowing not to get it completely dark because I know she has a phobia of pitch darkness. I stood at the door and watched her for a while just to watch how innocent she looked. This was my baby.. I looked over to the picture of Sophia and herself with a sigh but I know Sophia was watching over us with Taylor. I smiled as I closed the door slightly and felt content that my daughter and I were okay again.. 

We still have things to work through but I know that the secrets within us are no longer secrets and we are the beginning of mending the broken bridges between us. 

  ♫THE END ♫

Hello lovely people,

I hope you enjoyed the first book of Secrets Within Us. Yes. You have read that sentence correctly which means I am going to write a second book called "Melody Within Us." It is going to be after a year from this book and will focus more on Rory's life now being famous, love life and discovering her roots.

Hope you enjoyed this first book in the Within Us series.

Stay strong,

Shaz