27 ♫ time of death

♫ Demi

♫ Present

I watched my mama embraced my baby like she used to embrace me when I was struggling with addiction to drinking and taking cocaine. I wiped my eyes before anyone noticed but I saw Dallas staring at me. I looked away from her gaze to look back at Rory who was cuddled against Mama's neck with her eyes closed. "I think I am ready." She whispered gently to Mama and I sighed as her eyes opened to look somewhere that wasn't either me or Dally.

"Okay." Mama stated gently as they both slowly got up and I sighed as I held my arm tightly with my other hand. Then I sighed as I looked at my Mama.

"I think I might grab some air." I then walked out of the room before I could break down and heard someone close to me.

"Demi, wait." I stopped as Dallas' voice reached my ears and turned around as she wheeled herself slowly to me. "I would hate you but I know that hating you would do nothing.."

"You really should hate me." I whimpered softly as tears filled my eyes as she took my hand into hers. "She.. She is dead because of me.. Rory has every right to disown me as her mother and oh Dally, please you should hate me too."

"Oh Demi." Dallas' cried out as tears rolled down my eyes faster and faster like a waterfall. "Sophia never blamed you.. She wanted to just make sure Rory knew the truth but stopped the truth from being revealed to everybody else too."

"She... She wasn't mad?" I whimpered softly as I grabbed tissues from the nurse's bench next to me.

"No." Dallas sighed out with a sad smile. "She was hurt but she wasn't mad.." I nodded as my gazed into Dallas' tired, worn out eyes. "I know you were scared.. I know you were just trying to do.. To.." She was struggling to get the words out when her eyes started to roll back and she was shaking.

"Oh Dally, it's okay." I whispered then screamed for help as nurses came to help bring Dally back from her seizure. 

"She needs to be in her room now." The nurse stated gently as she leaded Dallas' back to her room and I looked back at Sophia's room. I walked back in and saw everybody sitting around her bed. I stood up leaning against the door with my arms crossed listening to everybody chatting gently. I listened and didn't announce myself because I wanted to be left alone as well.

-

I was sitting in the cafe because I left after a while before I got noticed and I was staring at my untouched coffee. "Hey sweetie." I looked up as my Mama sat in front of me. "You didn't come back so I came to find you after a few hours."

"Hours?" I croaked out and she nodded then looked confused. 

"You have been sitting here since this morning?" Mama whispered slowly and I looked back at my coffee that looked cooled down now. "Oh Demi baby, it's okay." 

"Is it?" Her eyes widen as I looked at her with a shrug of my shoulders. "I lost my daughters." I admitted to her and her eyes gazed over.

"Rory is still here.."

"That isn't what I meant." I stated gently as I stirred the coffee with my stirrer. "I lost Rory's trust and her love." Tears rolled my eyes as I sniffled. 

"Demi, she still loves you." Mama whispered as she placed her hand on my hand but I pulled away. "Demi, she is angry, hurt and I am assuming she feels quite betrayed but it does not mean she doesn't love you."

"It does!" I screamed as I stood up then everybody in the cafe looked at me surprised. I looked down at Mama. "I am done.. Let's... Say good bye to... Soph." I quickly ran off without waiting for Mama's reply then ran the longer way.

  ♫ Rory

I sat in Maddie's embraced as I gently strummed the guitar as Sophia's grandparents came in. They gave me a peek on the forehead but I was too out of it to do anything but strum. "Are you going to sing for Sophia, my love?" Sophia's grandmother questioned and I looked up then nodded. "Oh, I am sure she will enjoy that."

"I am sure she would." I gently answered back and she offered me a sad smile but I looked back at my guitar as Maddie gently rubbed my back. My eyes gazed up when my grandma walked in looking breathlessly. 

"You are okay, mama?" Maddie questioned and grandma nodded. "Did you get Demi?"

"I thought I had but she seemed to not make it here." Grandma replied as her eyes scanned the room and I sighed then I heard someone enter. We all looked towards Demi who looked quite tired and broken up. I looked down at my guitar and looked at the song I was going to gently sing as Sophia slowly died. "Demi, it's okay." I heard Grandma whisper to Demi and I sighed loudly as I looked up. "Rory-"

"She shouldn't even get to be here for this.." I gritted through my teeth as everybody stared at me and I looked straight into Demi's brown eyes. "What rights does she have?"

"Rory this isn't completely unfair." Maddie spoke from next to me and I looked at her with widen eyes. "Of course she gets to be here.."

"Rory, I understand right now everything seems completely wrong but this isn't really the thing to do to punish your Mother." Grandma Eddie whispered as he walked over to Demi and helped her to a seat. "I am not condemning you hurting her either so please right now focus on Sophia please." I looked down at my guitar with a sigh and as I strummed the guitar, the doctor came in quietly. Then I started to sing softly as I tried to hold my tears in as I watched the doctor slowly give Sophia less and less oxygen. I sang until my voice broke and I started to sob as Maddie embraced into her arms.

"Time of death." The doctor softly whispered to the nurse gently as he looked down at his watch. "4:47 PM. CPR was not requested nor possible." He looked over at all of us with a sad smile. "Take your time and let us know when you want us to take her." And with that I shut down and forgot what happened until I was lying in my bed staring into the darkness at a photo of me with Sophia.

" And with that I shut down and forgot what happened until I was lying in my bed staring into the darkness at a photo of me with Sophia

I cried and cried till sleep took over..

  ♫  Demi

I sighed as I stared at my glass of water and looked over at Mama who was busy typing on her laptop. "You really don't have to do anything right now." I sighed and she looked up. "It's late and I can't expect you to plan this funeral.."

"I can't really sleep anyway sweet pea." Mama replied softly with a sad smile and looked over at Rory's bedroom door. "She isn't doing so well and I am quite worried." My eyes gazed to the pamphlet about counseling and group counseling with a sigh.  

"She really needs it, doesn't she?" I whispered gently and she slowly nodded in agreement then I sighed as I played with my cup of water. "I think everybody has been right all this time." Mama looked confused and I proceeded to explain. "I should of taken more responsibility of my life when I became pregnant with Rory.. I should of never lied about anything to Rory and even Sophia."

"Maybe you are right, Dem but I also believe this has happened for a reason and I am very sure you will find out what the reason for this will be." Mama explained gently as she shut the laptop lid and offered me her hand. I placed my hand into her hand and she rubbed it. "Now... It's time for Rory to get help because I know what could happen if we leave her to shut herself out." I knew what she meant by that and I nodded at it.

"I will call them in the morning.."

  ♫