28 ♫ speak to me

♫ Rory

♫ Present

I woke up in a cold sweat and panting. It took a while to get my breathing back to normal and I got up because my bed was covered in sweat, so was my PJ's. I sighed as I took my bed sheets off and walked them to the laundry to place in the washing machine. I started the machine after I got out of my clothes then ran to the bathroom to run a bath. I put in one of Sophia's bath bombs and placed my body in the water with a sigh. My eyes gazed to the clock stating it was 4 in the morning and I sighed. Suddenly I heard soft steps coming towards the bathroom and the door slowly opened revealing Grandma standing there. "Hello my darling, are you okay?" She whispered gently keeping her eyes to my face and I nodded but she looked concern. "Do you want me to make your bed so you can go back to sleep after you have a bath?" I shrugged as I looked down at the bath bomb and she sighed. "Did you have a nightmare?" I cuffed my ears now getting annoyed at being asked so many questions when all I wanted was to lay in this bath in silence. I saw the door closed gently from the corner of my eye and I uncovered my ears with a sigh. My eyes gazed back to the galaxy colors of the bath bomb and I pulled my legs up to my chest then rested my head on my knees as tears rolled down my eyes.

"Rory?" A knock on the door brought me from my trance and my eyes gazed to the door as it opened revealing Grandma again. "Sweet girl, you have been in here for way too long.. You will catch a cold." Like I cared.. She came over and grabbed my towel then helped me out. I felt weak and tired as she dried me off like I was a child again. She hummed as she wrapped the big fluffy towel around my small body and placed a kiss on my cheek. "I made some hot chocolate.." She explained as she lead us out of the bathroom into the kitchen and I saw the two cups of hot chocolate. She grabbed the two mugs and I followed her into the living room silently. I sat down and she handed me the hot chocolate with a sad smile. She sat next to me but giving me enough space for comfort. "I figured you needed a hot chocolate fix." She finally whispered as I gazed into the hot chocolate but not really thinking about anything. She took a sip of hers as she looked outside to the beach since the sun was rising then she looked back to me. "Actually.. I kind of want to brush your hair like the good old days and plait it." She admitted gently with a soft laugh.. Like the good old days? I would take anything to have Sophia back. I looked up at her and shrugged then I looked at the sun rising but not really finding any comfort in it anymore which was really more depressing. After a long silence of her sipping her hot chocolate and me just staring at the sun rising not replying to her attempts of conversation, she placed her empty cup down and I did the same then rested my head on her lamp silently. I still watched the sun set as she ran her fingers through my damp hair getting rid of tangles and I kind of felt somewhat comfortable. "It's nice to wake up early to see the sun rise.. I really should start waking up earlier to just watch the beautiful nature.. I start to find myself taking advantage of things so little but has so much meaning.." So did I with Sophia.. 

I must of fallen asleep because I woke up with the sun in my face but Grandma had her hand covering the sun as best as she could. "Morning sleepyhead." My eyes gazed to her smiling face but I looked away feeling annoyed by her happiness. "I think it's time you get out of your towel, Missy." I rather I just lay here in a towel then put on clothes and feel trapped but of course I didn't say anything because she was standing up and I sat up as I noticed my hair was now dry. 

♫ Demi

I walked to the living room hearing Mama's voice. My eyes gazed to a concern Mama who was watching Rory sitting there in a towel. "You can't just sit in a towel.." Mama explained gently but Rory was looking too out of it to really take orders and I walked in then stood near Mama.

"Rory?" I whispered gently then looked at Mama since Rory didn't register me talking to her. 

"She woke up early in the morning in a cold sweat I am assuming because I found her bed sheets in the laundry and her in the bath." Mama explained gently as she looked over to the bathroom and laundry. "I left her and she was in the bath for a hour just out of it. I came and helped her out then lead her here for hot chocolate.. But she hasn't spoken yet and I am really worried that she is shutting herself away. She did lay her head on my lap and fell asleep as we watched the sun rise." I nodded then my eyes gazed back to Rory who was now watching us.

"What's going on inside that pretty head of yours, baby girl?" I whispered as I kneel down to her height and her eyes refused to meet mine. "Speak to me.. Please." No reply and no emotion shown on her face. "Grandma is right though, it is time to get dressed into some clothes because we don't want you to get a cold from the lack of clothing." I touched her but she flinched and I quickly placed my hand back down. Her skin was cold.. Grandma walked over and gently pulled Rory up.

"No more Rory." Grandma whispered as she wrapped one arm around Rory and helped her to her room as I stayed kneeling in shock. I didn't expect her to flinch away from my touch like that even though I knew she was mad, hurt and upset at me.. I looked down at my hand that touched Rory and I sighed. There was a lot to work through with Rory and I am going to accept that it will take some time before I get what I had with my daughter before..

She was dressed in trackie pants and a over sized shirt. She was now sitting outside watching the waves on the beach crashed as the doorbell rang. I walked to the door and peeked through the hole to see Noah standing there with flowers in her hand. I opened the door and smiled sadly at her as she offered the bunch of flowers to me. "I am sending my love and condolences to both yours and the Swift family.."

"Thanks Noah sweetie." I whispered with a smile and gave her a small hug which she returned then looked over my shoulder to see Rory outside. "Rory is actually outside but sweetie, she isn't doing so well.. With Sophia dying and with my secrets being revealed to her in the worst way possible." She just nodded without any judgment look on her face nor any judgment comments said. 

"I might be able to help out with that right?" Noah whispered as I let her inside and I closed the door.

"I hope so." I admitted softly and she smiled at me. "She isn't speaking at all and I am really worried she is shutting herself out.."

"I will do my best to help." I nodded to that and I watched her back her way outside. I watched her embrace Rory with a hug then a kiss on the cheek but Rory was still in her own world to notice her. Noah looked surprise but quickly smiled at her as she next to her embracing Rory into her arms which Rory just let happen. I stopped watching as I felt content that right now Rory will be okay in Noah's presence then I found my way to the study where Mama was on a phone to the funeral planner. I sat down in front of her as she smiled at me and soon after she had finished the call then I burst into tears. She quickly ran to my side and hugged me.

"My baby girl is broken."