Part One(Kenzie's POV)

"McKenzie. McKenzie? Are you with us?" I looked up from my notes at Mr. Phyllis. I felt a moment of rising panic as I slowly lifted my head to look at my biology teacher, but was relieved to find that he didn't seem angry. More amused.

"Last minute studying before a test, eh? As much as I support studying, please do it at the appropriate time, so preferably not when we are reviewing as a class." Mr. Phyllis smiled at me, and I felt my heart relax a bit. At least he wasn't angry. The old guy could be strict, but at least he wasn't unreasonable.

I smiled a little guiltily, and then returned my gaze to the screen at the front of the classroom.

"So, who can tell me what the Collision Theory is?" Mr. Phyllis invited. Immediately, one guy's hand flew up.

"In order to react, molecules must collide. If two molecules were to react, they would have to contact with sufficient enough force to make their chemical bonds break."

"Very good, Peter. You all should take some notes from Mr. Parker here." Mr. Phyllis doted. He loved Peter.

I looked over my left shoulder to see Peter grinning sheepishly, seemingly embarrassed but proud at the same time. He looked down at his notes, but he didn't have to. He was the smartest kid in the whole school. Just before I looked away, a little piece of his curly hair fell into his face, and he quickly brushed it away, returning his hair to a slightly messier, but still pristine shape.

I didn't realize I was grinning, but I must have been because Peter's face went tomato red when he saw me looking at him. I looked away from him, trying to hide my grin.

Mr. Phyllis gave me a knowing look, making my face turn as bright as Peter's.

"I am going to pass out the tests, so don't do anything stupid with your devices. I'm too tired today." Mr. Phyllis started walking around the room, passing out the thick end-of-the-year test. I got excited as he set the test on my desk— I had been studying for weeks, I knew I was going to ace it.

I couldn't help but look over at Peter again as his test was set on his desk. He looked right at home as he wrote his name on the top. He was in his element.

I returned to my test, doing my best to avoid glancing at him every few minutes, but I was unable to ignore the fact that he was failing to do the exact same thing.

Peter was the first to turn in his test. He walked up to Mr. Phyllis in confidence, but walked back to his seat quickly, avoiding the gaze of his fellow classmates. I felt butterflies momentarily rise in my stomach as he briefly stopped and looked at me with wide eyes and a little half grin before sitting down at his desk.

I turned in my test ten minutes after Peter. Walking back to my desk, I took a look around the room, and I was the second one done. I looked at my best friend, Lucy, who glanced up at me and winked.

Forty five minutes later, the bell rang and everybody began to gather their things into their backpacks. I stood up out of my desk, hauling my many books and my backpack with me.

Lucy walked over to me, dancing a little as she came, and then sidled up to me as we walked out into the hall and started bombarding me with questions about the test that I adamantly told her I couldn't answer.

While I was laughing at one of Lucy's questions, I ran into someone and all of my books lurched out of my hands and I felt my backpack rip.

I knelt down to pick everything up, only to see a pair of strong hands were already gathering up the books.

Peter looked up at me, trying to get all of the books back into my backpack, but it was ripped open, and the more he put in, the farther it ripped. He started hastily taking them out and picking everything up for me. He stood up and handed me my backpack, looking extremely guilty.

"I- I'm so sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going, I was reading and then I just kind of ran into you and, and, your books and your backpack and everything, oh your backpack! McKenzie I'm so sorry! I—" Peter stammered.

I laughed and cut him off. "Peter, you're fine, really. I needed a new backpack anyways. Thank you for picking up my books, that was very kind of you."

He chuckled nervously, eyes wide, and then continued, "No problem. Really though, I'm so sorry! I will take you to buy a new one sometime if you'd like? My treat, considering I ripped your old one?"

I grinned. "Yeah, sure. I can buy, but you are welcome to tag along with me if you want."

He looked at me for a second and said, "Yeah, I'd like that a lot. Just let me know the plan and stuff."

I didn't know Peter very well, but I noticed him. I always had. He was hard to ignore. He was about average height, strong build. He always wore loose shirts and hoodies to hide it, but he was extremely strong. He was your stereotypical nerd- nose in a book all the time, acing classes, answering all the questions. He had plenty of knowledge to spare. Peter looked down most of the time, trying to avoid everyone's gaze, but when he talked to me, I struggled to find my breath.

He had the perfect complexion: flawless skin, impeccable jawline, and a beautiful smile. His chocolate brown eyes pored into me as if he could see right through me. They darted back and forth between everything he looked at, as if there was way too much input, but something told me his mind was racing ten times as fast as his eyes were. He had the look of an old soul trapped in a younger body, but when he talked, he seemed like a regular kid. Maybe more awkward then most, but that was something I found myself admiring and loving during our short interaction.

Realizing I had probably been distracted for too long after he finished talking, I quickly said, "Yeah, yeah of course! Will do!"

Peter looked up at me again, seemingly relieved I'd said something. "Alright, cool. I'll see you around then?"

"Yeah, I'll see you around." I said with a smile.

A voice came from somewhere behind Peter. "Peter? Peter? There you are. We have to head to your place so we can finish the thing remember?" Ned Leeds, Peter's best friend, showed up behind Peter.

Peter nodded and turned around to walk back with Ned. I turned to Lucy, who was looking at me with a sly grin and an eyebrow raised. As we started walking away, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Peter glance back at me with the biggest smile that I'd ever seen on his face, before disappearing into the ocean of high school students.

A/N: 7-11-18
Word count: 1216
Welcome to the first chapter of my fan fiction! These first few chapters are some of my least favorites writing-wise, so please, just bear with me haha. I'll probably come back and edit these later but🤷🏼‍♀️ for now I'm working on finishing it up.

Disclaimer: This story was originally meant to be a one chapter deal, written for my cousin Kenzie, whom the main character is based off of:) so, as such, I apologize for getting into the romance part of things too fast. I didn't realize I'd be going as far as I have with it. I promise, Pete and Kenzie's relationship will keep developing, and I don't move too fast after getting into it right away haha. Again, I'm sorry about that. I'll make it up to you later:)

~n.s.