Part 34(Kenzie's POV)

I clawed at the floor blindly, trying to find something to grab onto as I was dragged by my legs towards my back door. I kicked and thrashed, but the most it seemed to do was slow my overly muscled captor down. My throat hurt from screaming.

          After five minutes of flailing and being tantalizingly close to grabbing things, but being yanked to the side at the last minute, my fingers closed around the leg of a nightstand in my living room, two yards away from my back door. I thought I heard the gentle hum of some sort of engine in my backyard. I tightened my grip.

          As the man pulled harder, the table I was holding on to fell over, the lamp atop it crashing chaotically to the floor. I grabbed it and threw it above me with all the strength in my body, hoping beyond hope that it would give me a chance to escape. I was pleased to hear a loud, painful sounding thunk as the simple object hit home somewhere on what I assumed was the man's head. Scrambling for my footing, I made my way for the stairs, knocking over as many things as possible behind me to slow the boulder of a man pursuing me.

          Just after I had reached the top of my staircase, however, I felt something big and heavy smash into my right arm; it was thrown with such force that I was flung into the banister opposite me, my hands struggling to find traction over the smooth wood of the railing. My equilibrium tilted as the upper half of my body slipped over the edge, and my stomach dropped with the rest of me from twenty feet in the air.

          My lungs deflated as my back hit the floor of my living room. There was a red-hot vibranium hammer pounding against the back of my skull, making stars dance in front of my eyes. As some of the initial pain began to subside, nausea rose in my stomach with the gravity of the situation. I wrapped my arms around my stomach, groaning, wishing with everything in me that escape from the pain and the situation would come momentarily.

          "Kenzie!"

          I opened my eyes to see Spider-Man running towards me, and as soon as he got close enough, Peter immediately bent down and began to lift me up. He supported most of my weight and sat me down on the couch closest to us, and squinting my eyes because of the residual pain in my head, I laughed at my boyfriend. Knowing that Peter was there to help me was like having a crushing weight being lifted off of my shoulders.

          "Kenz, I'm so sorry! I may or may not have crashed my car into a tree, and then I accidentally swung into a different tree, and then--" He sighed in frustration, unable to come up with a sufficient enough excuse for himself.

          I formed my lips into a sarcastic pout. "It's alright. All the bones in my body are shattered, but that's it. Other than that, I'm fine."

          "Kenz!"

          "Hey, it could be worse. I could have fallen from a clock tower or something." I shrugged, ignoring the explosion of pain in my back.

          Spider-Man stared at me. "You know I would have caught you, right?"

          I tweaked my eyebrow upwards slightly. "Oh, like you caught me just barely?"

          "Let me rephrase that. From now on, I will always catch you. I promise." He brought his masked face closer to mine, and my heart skipped a beat.

          "Okay." I breathed. Something inside told me I would need him to live up to that promise.

          I gasped, angered for allowing myself to be distracted for so long. I punched Peter in the arm, and he flinched away from me.