Part 17(Peter's POV)

She said yes. She said yes.

          I could not believe it, no matter how hard I tried to convince myself. Kenzie had agreed to go on a date. With me. She might even actually like me.

          I was aimlessly walking up away from Kenzie's campsite, unable to do anything but think. I didn't know what to say, or what words I could even use to start describing the overwhelming feeling of happiness that was coursing through my body at that moment.

          I couldn't tell if I wanted to run up and hug her or shrink into a corner. Was I really going to convince myself that she liked me? I would be insane.

          The only thing that got me out of my stupor, and probably the only thing that could have, was when I ran into Ned. Literally.

          "Ow, what the— oh. It's just you, Peter," Ned yawned, his eyes struggling to stay open.

          "Weren't you the one that called me over here?" I asked him.

          "What? Oh, yeah. I was just trying to find you. Why are you awake so early? Why am I awake this early?" Ned grunted.

          I stood there, looking at him dumbfounded. "You yelled my name to find me." I reiterated.

          "Well, yeah. Why do you look so surprised?" Ned raised his eyebrows.

          "I was talking with Kenzie, man! It was going really well!" I exclaimed, trying to push down the annoyance that was rising in my throat.

          Ned's eyes widened, and he made an exasperated gesture with his hands. "How was I supposed to— oh wait, you were talking to Kenzie?" he squealed.

          "Yeah!" I whimpered.

          "I'm so sorry, dude. I had no idea. Did you take my advice?" Ned gushed. His eyes were wide with anticipation, any sign of fatigue previously present now completely disappeared.

          I laughed in disbelief. "I did, actually." Ned's gaping mouth could have fit an airplane inside of it.

          "Dude, this is going to change your life!" Ned said in astonishment. "Wait. She did say yes, right?"

          "Yeah. She did." I confirmed, still unable to grasp what was happening.

          Ned pumped his fist in the air and screamed, earning himself a few disgruntled comments from our classmates. He completely ignored them, his eyes shining brighter than the rising sun.

          "Why aren't you, you know, jumping for joy with me? This is what you wanted, right?" Ned questioned.

          "This is what I have wanted my whole life. I am so happy— it doesn't feel real. I'm trying not to convince myself that it means more than just a date." I paused, briefly ruffling my hair with my fingers. "But I'm terrified. I'm terrified of getting my hopes up just to have them be torn down. I don't know how well I could take that," I vented. The fact that Kenzie had yes had sent two extreme emotions into my being that hadn't left. Pure, absolute joy, and a crippling anxiety. What if I screwed up? Well, I knew I would screw up. What I didn't know was how she would react when I did. And that scared me out of my wits.