Part 40(Peter's POV)

I don't know why I was so angry.

          I ran my fingers through my hair, resisting the urge to yank it all out in frustration. I felt fire flow through my veins inexplicably, but undeniably. The combination of my exhaustion from the steadily rising number of sleepless nights and the emotional strain from the day before pushed tears into my eyes, but I swallowed them. Focusing on my anger made it easier not to cry.

          Restless, I hopped up from my sitting position on the stairs of Kenzie's deck and began pacing her lawn. The heels of my shoes browned with dirt from digging them into the grass so deeply.

       Kenzie's back door creaked open and shut; I turned to see her leaning against the doorframe. The look she gave me— one of fear, guilt, and concern— acted as a drain for my emotions, and I felt the anger in me slowly begin to diminish. Kenz began walking towards me, giving me a small smile.

       "Hey, you," she began.

       "Hey."

       Kenzie folded her arms. "So, what was that all about?"

       I sighed, shaking my head. "I don't know, Kenz. I'm just tired."

       "Why don't we sit, then?" she offered.

       I obliged, seeing as my legs were beginning to feel like lead anyways. I sat on the grass then and there.

       "Oh, I kind of meant on the steps— you know what, never mind. Don't worry about it, I'll just sit here too." Kenzie filled a spot on her lawn right in front of me, looking me in the eye.

       I wanted to keep my lips sealed, more because I didn't know what to say than anything, but Kenzie's gaze prompted me otherwise. "I didn't mean to blow up on you like that. I've just had a lot piling up on me lately."

       "I know you have. That's my fault," she said.

       I shook my head. "Just 'cause it's because of you doesn't mean it's your fault."

       "Pete, that doesn't even make sense."

       "You don't make sense!" I retaliated defensively.

Kenzie rolled her eyes. "Resorting to third-grade insults, are we Parker?"

       "Sorry. I just have a lot on my mind."

          Kenzie batted her eyes dramatically. "You just can't stop thinking about me, huh?"

          "I can't, actually." I put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her into me. "I just want you to be safe."

          In response to this, she tilted her head up to look at me and sat up shortly afterwards, her eyes scanning my face with concern. "You look so tired, Peter," she whispered softly.

          I cleared my throat. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me, you're the one in danger!"

          "It's not me I'm worried about right now," Kenz said, a softness in her eyes.

          "You don't need to be worried about me. I'm fine!"

          "Peter, listen to yourself. I'm not asking you to be fine, I'm asking you to be honest. Could you shut up for a second and consider the possibility that I might be right?" Although her words were harsh, she spoke them with an intentional, gentle tone.

          I started to apologize, but was cut off by the opening of Kenzie's back door. Lucy stood in its frame, a grim look on her face. "You have a visitor, Kenz."