Part 25(Kenzie's POV)

"Ha! You landed on Boardwalk Avenue, which I own." I smiled across the Monopoly Board at Peter. "Pay up, Parker."

          The monopoly board was sprawled out across the coffee table in Peter's living room, and there was fake money and cards covering every inch of it. I sat with my back against the couch and the table in front of me. Peter was directly across from me, Lucy on my left, and Ned on my right. We had been playing for three hours now, and none of us were sick of it yet.

          We had been doing these game nights with the four of us a lot more regularly since the summer started, which I was indescribably grateful for. This particular one was for my pre-birthday party, considering my birthday was exactly a week away. I couldn't thank my friends enough for making sure that I felt happy. When I was with these guys- it was one of the only places I felt safe. When everything around me, everything inside of me terrified me out of my wits, the three people surrounding me were the only ones that made me remember what it's like to not be scared anymore.

          Peter groaned. "How much do I owe you?"

          "Two hundred dollars." I grinned.

          Peter started begrudgingly shuffling through his Monopoly money. "Wait!" I exclaimed. His eyes lifted up to mine in curiosity, and I continued, "I have a hotel on Boardwalk as well, which means that you owe me an extra mortgage payment. Four hundred bucks!"

          Peter gaped at me. "That is not fair," he mumbled. "I'm only going to have fifty left!"

          Ned joined in, "What idiot came up with that stupid rule?"

          "You did," Lucy pointed out. "It says it right here in this handwritten instructional manual." Lucy gestured to a stapled group of ratted papers, titled 'The Best Monopoly Instruction Manual Ever'. According to Ned, who brought the game, he had written it because the original manual was 'too confusing'. I snorted in laughter.

          "If he made the rules, does that mean he can change them?" Peter asked, to a chorus of protests from Lucy and I.

          "No way! Peter owes Kenzie four hundred bucks. Maybe he'll finally lose something for once in his life," Lucy said, somewhat harshly.

          Peter's eyebrows knitted together, and he made a face that showed he was outwardly as confused as I felt.

          Peter laughed uncomfortably, and handed over the money to me. I shot Lucy a questioning look, which she returned immediately.

          I was spared of saying anything by the ringing of Ned's phone. He picked it up, noticeably more shaky than he was before. "Dad? What's going on?" There was a pause as he listened. His father was clearly yelling through the phone, but I couldn't quite make out what exactly he was saying. My heart felt heavy just looking at Ned's face as he talked on the phone. Slowly, Ned responded, "I'll be over there in five minutes." He then hung up.

          Ned stood up wearily. Peter, still sitting on the ground, reached up and grabbed Ned's arm. "Hey, where are you going?"

          Ned exhaled loudly. "My dad is upset at me for some reason. He said I needed to go home and, uh, talk with him."

           So quickly that I almost didn't see it, Peter stood up. "I'm coming."

          Ned started to protest, but Peter was already opening the door. "There is no way I'm letting you go by yourself when he's this angry with you. I'm coming. Let's go." Peter held the door for Ned, and then moved to close it behind him.