Part Four(Kenzie's POV)

"Just around the corner... here we are!" Peter said, briefly raising his left eyebrow with a little smile. "Target, home of new backpacks for pretty girls whose backpacks were broken by idiots that weren't watching where they were going." His voice cracked a little bit as he finished his sentence, causing me to forget how to breathe for a moment. Then I registered how he had called me pretty, and my lungs stopped working.

         I caught my breath, and smiled a big smile at Peter. "Peter, you are not an idiot. You're the smartest guy I've ever met." He looked up at me with wide eyes, his mouth hanging open slightly. Holy cow, Kenzie, breathe! I thought to myself.

         We stopped and looked up at the Target, which was bigger than Peter's brain, and he looked at me, shyly gesturing for me to go in first, just like he did on the bus.

          I walked through the automatic doors, and into the alternate universe that is Target. Though Peter started walking in behind me, he quickly returned to his previous position—directly beside me.

          I was in awe at the pure vastness of the place; it was huge. Everywhere I looked, I saw something I loved.

          "Well, I'm sorry it's not some fancy place, like, what is that expensive bag place? Coach? Yeah it's not that, but I think you will find something here that you like." The words flowed out of Peter's mouth, and he looked at me nervously, as if waiting to see my reaction.

          "Peter, this is perfect. Seriously, I cannot wait to explore this place. We probably have to be careful though, we might literally never be able to find our way out of here if we stay too long," I said in awe.

          He laughed, a beautiful sound that rang through the huge building we were standing in. It echoed back and forth between the far walls, rendering me unable to do anything but smile.

          He started walking towards the left-back corner of the store, and I was right on his heels. I glanced at the isles as we walked past them. Peter asked me a couple times if I wanted to stop and look, but I kept assuring him that I wanted to find the backpack first.

          I stopped to admire a beautiful necklace with my birthstone on it, and highly considered buying. One look at the price tag, though, and I put it back. It was way too expensive for me to be able to buy. I was really sad about it, and it must have showed, because Peter looked at me with concern and asked if I was okay. I quickly responded with, "Yeah, yeah. I'm okay. It's too bad how expensive that thing is, though!" I laughed it off to make sure I seemed sincere, but Peter didn't seem convinced. I just started walking again.

           After we walked for a good two minutes or so, he abruptly stopped, surprising me and causing me to run right into him. I tripped and started to fall forwards, but before I could go anywhere, Peter caught me. He pulled me up with ease, but he was very gentle while doing so. After I had regained my footing, he looked me up and down anxiously, as if searching for any scratches or bruises.

          "Oh my gosh, Kenzie, are you okay? I'm really, really sorry— that's the second time in two days! I just, ugh, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" Peter babbled. He furrowed his eyebrows, obviously furiously trying to come up with the right words to say.

           I had already recovered fully from the momentary shock of falling, but I was still working on recovering from the feeling of being entangled in Peter's arms, him literally protecting me from landing on my face. My heart tried to escape from my chest, my ribs the only thing keeping my internal organ, well, internal.

          "Peter, don't worry, I am totally fine! You caught me," I laughed, blushing furiously red.

          "Well yeah, but that's not the point—you've tripped and fallen over me not once, but twice, in the last week! I promise I'm not doing it on purpose, I really am not—" he started.