Part 28(Peter's POV)

"Your heart is beating well over it's suggested heart rate. Why are you nervous?" Karen's voice spoke into my ear.

          "I'm not nervous, I'm Spider-Man!" I responded shortly. This wasn't true, though. I mean, not the Spider-Man part. I am Spider-Man. But I guess I was a little bit nervous.

          As I had progressively gotten closer to my apartment building where I had left Damon, the pounding in my chest only kept getting faster. Come on, Peter. You've fought tougher guys than Damon.

          Why should I be nervous? I'm going to do something to ensure the safety of the best thing that has ever happened to me. Kenzie.

          "Yes you are. You are exhibiting all the signs of stress; sweaty palms, quickened breathing, difficulty swallowing-" Karen countered.

          "Those just sound like the effects of exercise," I interjected.

          Karen laughed. "Forced humor is also one of the common symptoms of nerves, Peter." I rolled my eyes.

           After about an hour of swinging through trees and buildings(literally through some buildings. Sorry, architects. Should have engineered your buildings to be less superhero-smash worthy), I finally reached my apartment complex. I latched onto the wall right next to my bedroom window, pulling my mask down a little bit farther before I peaked in.

          My room was empty, so I opened the window and crawled in, dropping to the floor soundlessly. I advanced out of my room, but then kind of gave up on the whole stealth thing and ran through my house, yelling Damon's name.

          After a good few minutes of this, I stopped, having looked through all the rooms over ten times. I grunted in frustration, and then an idea popped into my head. "Karen," I panted, "scan the house for any heat signatures. Besides mine, obviously."

          "Sure thing, Peter." Karen responded. A sort of ringing sound echoed through my ears as the suit scanned my apartment. "No foreign heat signatures detected."

          I cursed under my breath, but I'm not sure what I expected. I had been gone almost an hour. "Karen, do you think you could find May's car if I told you the license plate number?"

          When she affirmed that she could indeed find it, I repeated the number to her. I smiled inwardly, remembering how May had made me memorize it in case of an emergency, and how I had irritably told her that I'd never have to use it. I was wrong.

          "Location identified. Starting route to license plate number AAA-0601." A map appeared in the top-left hand corner of my range of vision, and I ran to my window and, uh, went out swinging.

          The route to May's car was going to take only about ten minutes at the speed I was going, but it still seemed like forever. The idea of my aunt, my only living  family, going out with a rat like Damon made me want to retch all of the pizza I had eaten earlier. The knowledge that he was playing May to get to Kenzie made me want to web him to the side of an abandoned building and never look back.

          The desire to keep Kenzie safe was so strong that I couldn't think about anything else. I saw her face in my head as clearly as I saw the map in front of me. Her soft cheeks, her pink lips that I've wanted to kiss for so long, but never had the courage to. I saw her brown eyes, looking at me like she saw something in me that I couldn't see in myself. Like maybe when she looked at me, the world didn't seem so scary anymore. I imagined her chocolate hair falling into her face as she blushed away from my stare.

          Then I thought of my beautiful Kenzie's face contorting in pain in the forest as she tried to stand by herself on a twisted ankle. I thought of how she cried into my chest after I rescued her from that truck the night of the dance. I remembered tonight- how her eyes had widened in fear when Damon walked in the room. How she had caved in to me as if she wanted to disappear.