Chapter 2 ~ Past

Chapter 2

April 3rd - Before

"Happy birthday!" My parents kiss my cheeks, and I wipe it away- embarrassed.

But I'm still so happy, I could hug then forever. Derek stands behind them, holding something behind his back.

"Thank you, mom and dad.. I can't even thank you enough-"

"Don't worry about it, dear. Why don't you see what Derek has got you?" My mother turns so that he comes into view.

I leap into his arms, and wait for him to wrap his arms around me. After he does, I peck his lips and smile.

"Thank you for coming." I breathe, staring into his amber-brown eyes.

Derek smiles, and holds out his present after I've released him.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." He says, handing me the present.

I take it carefully, afraid that it might be fragile and open the lid. I gasp.

"Derek, this is so beautiful!" I gap, and pull out the silver infinite necklace.

He turns me around and pulls the necklace around my neck. My family stares at me lovingly- and just for this moment I wanted it to freeze just for a minute so I could capture it forever.

After he pins it together, I turn back around on my heels and stare at it, my fingers rubbing over the small diamonds in crested in the center.

"It's beautiful!" My mother takes it in her palm carefully- her green eyes shining. I had inherited them from her, and I loved them because it reminded me of her.

I wanted a small party with just my parents and Derek. My little sister was away at a camp for church and my older brother couldn't come to celebrate from college until a week from now for exams. I didn't want it to be big, and turning sixteen was special and all- but I wanted to share it with just my family and my boyfriend.

"So," My father clasps his hands together. "Let's grab some drinks for the party!"

"I'll get them, it's the least I can do for the party you gave me." I say to everyone.

I couldn't thank them enough, but at least I can show it some.

"Okay, dear. I'll get the cake ready." My mother heads into the kitchen her brown hair swept behind her in loose curls.

Derek walks up to me. "Are you sure you don't want me to follow you?"

"Please, I can handle walking outside to the garage for a few drinks." I say sarcastically, putting a hand on his shoulder.

He flashes a smile, and I take it as a go-ahead. I turn on my heels and practically skip outside. The full moon shines it's soft milky rays down on my skin, and I sigh.

Tonight was wonderful. The sunset had just past, leaving a small red streak to pour through the sky. I walk a few meters and finally reach our garage. The garage door is open, letting moonlight touch our cars. My dad has this crazy idea that cars need air too, so he leaves it open all the time. At least we have a door in between our backyard and the garage so no one could break in.

I walk in and find the small refrigerator that holds the soft drinks. I grab three sodas and two Sprites and close the refrigerator. There's a sound of something brushing against wood and I turn my head, only eyeing the two cars in the garage and a shovel on the other wall for our yard. I roll my eyes, I'm just too tense.

My feet sweep forward and I reach for the door to my backyard. Suddenly all in an instant, I'm grabbed from behind and flung across the garage, hitting one of my dad's trucks and splattering the drinks everywhere. I start to scream when the looming dark figure rushes for me and puts a cloth over my mouth- at the same time scooping me up.

I gasp for air and breathe in a murky scent that has my eyes starting to droop. A smile appears from my kidnapper, looming over me wickedly.

Darkness clogs my eyes and I'm rushed into a black, endless world.