Chapter 13 ~ Past

Chapter 13

May 10th - After

|| Derek POV ||

It had been over a month since Hazel had disappeared. We've all been a nervous wreck, especially Hazel's mother, Jeanine.

She's been spacing out a lot, a cellphone and home phone always by her side just incase. I want to tell her there might not be a chance she will ever come back, that's she's gone.. But I don't have the heart too, and I don't want to believe it myself.

I've tried numerous things and scouted the whole city at least three times, just incase she might have appeared. We've been unlucky, though. I've been a nervous wreck, and can't function without knowing where she is. It feels like my heart has been thrown across the room to be forgotten and lonely. I didn't realize how much I loved her until she was gone.

The cop investigation got involved on the third day since she went missing, and they've only been able to find her phone, which was found in a river just north of the town. No traces of her body have been found though, which is a breath of relief, but also a painful sigh.

I go home around 3 in the morning usually after I finish a round outside of town and wake at 7 to start another search. Bill, her father, has started to give up. He's called off several searches, which I've been able to sort back together because he's lost most of his hope. Whenever he hangs up with an investigator on another search failure, Jeanine starts sobbing.

I don't know when we will start to call off all search parties. I hope it's not soon, and I hope they can find something- anything- that can lead us on something.

The rest is in God's hands, but I don't even know if I can believe that anymore.

***

May 14 - After

They found Jeanine's body today in a forest by a local park. The cops say she is linked with Hazel's kidnapper, and have gotten some leads.

I don't know if I should be a little happy because Hazel might be found, or if I should feel even worse now that Hazel's mother has been killed. She doesn't even know, and that's what pains me.

I make do in Hazel's house, caring for Bill- since he's an hysterical wreck. He's gotten to such a mental breakdown, he won't even eat without throwing it back up. I'm going to probably admit him to a hospital overnight, just so he can rest up and get some nutrients through IVs.

I sit in his kitchen, listening to the radio for local reports. Hazel's been all over local news, her picture from her best friend's birthday party used for a description. It was the night I had asked her out, and she had finally said yes. I clung onto every memory of her, just incase I might forget something- and lose her forever.

The scrambled eggs below me begin to cool, so I stuff them down like nothing- feeling empty. My appetite was lost the moment Hazel never returned from getting drinks and we couldn't find her anywhere around the house. I thought someone had took my soul and buried it far from my grasp. I was lost, and defeated.

I perk up as another news report starts talking about Hazel.

16 year old Hazel Lock went missing about a month ago, with no leads until a few hours ago- when her mother, Jeanine Lock was found in a local park's forest about 2 miles from the city. The investigative team says they have found traces of the killer's DNA, but haven't successfully been able to find suspects yet. Our thoughts and prayers go to her family-

I turn off the radio, picking up my plate. I had gotten tired of hearing the same bullshit everyday, so it didn't matter anymore.

Suddenly, I jolt- dropping my fork on the floor as the bell rings twice. I quickly pick it up and throw it in the sink, bolting for the door.

Lead investigator, Dr. Fredrick, stands before me- his gray eyes dull.

"Derek," He addresses, nodding once. "May I come in?"

My stomach churns. "Y-Yeah, come on in." I open the door, watching as he steps in smoothly, walking over to the sofa.

I follow closely behind, barely feeling my feet. As soon as he sits, he starts.

"We've found 3 suspects, all having no criminal record." Dr. Fredrick says, taking off his glasses and rubbing them on his jacket. "I just wanted to let you know, since Hazel was close to you. Jeanine was certainly killed by the same person, under these familiar circumstances."

I nod, immediately relaxing. Hazel wasn't dead, at least not found dead. And there was suspects, which was a giant leap in the investigation.

"Derek," He says calmly, re-attracting my attention.

"Y-Yes?"

"Please take care of Bill, for all of us. You still seem pretty with it, given what's happened." Dr. Fredrick says. "It would mean much."

"Yes, of course." I clear my throat, and stand to watch him leave. He turns just as I'm about to shut the door, putting on his sunglasses.

"One last thing," He says, turning towards me and leaning a shoulder on the wall. I stop the door, opening it slightly again.

"Yessir?"

"I wish you good luck, on finding your girlfriend. She meant a lot to you." His smile is faint, the wrinkles in his forehead showing his age.

I nod, mirroring him "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." He turns quickly, his footsteps disappearing as he walks down the sidewalk. I wait a few seconds after he's drove away, taking in his words.

I hope your out their Hazel, because I will find you. Just hold on for a little longer.

.
.
A/N: Different chapter! It's short, but it gives an insight on what's happening outside of the cellar. Hope you enjoyed.

Song of the chapter is Wild Ones ft. Sia! (:

Please vote, comment, and share!

<333333

Auna :)