Chapter 14 ~ Present

Chapter 14

May 15th - After

I clenched my teeth, nearing my 50th push-up.

Ever since my mothers death, and the wicked look in Harrison's eyes- I've been building myself up nonstop. He started to bring us food again, and even brought 3 beers. I drank two. Even for just a few hours, I was able to relax and forget about my fucked up life. Before then, I had never had beer before- or even wine. I was after all sixteen, but who cared anymore?

Finally reaching 50, I collapse on the cold concrete- pressing my forehead against it.

"How many?" November asks, staring up at the ceiling.

"Fifty." I confirm, pride swelling in my chest.

Only weeks ago was I able to do only one, so this was a big improvement.

November smiles, although it doesn't quite reach his eyes. I push myself to my feet with a grunt, walking numbly back over to my cot. The scissors are still under my mattress, and I pull them out- setting them on my pillow as I sit on the covers. Once back in my hands, I watch the metal catch the dim light, twisting them in between my fingers. I only needed time..

The door slams open with a pound, making my heart beat a thousand times a second. I jolt forward, tucking the scissors under my thigh.

Harrison looks in, his eyes bloodshot and his knuckles white in a fist.

"You," He point at me, making me flinch. "Come."

This is my chance. Thoughts rush into my head, ideas. I embrace them, and tuck the scissors in between my pants and hip. Hatred courses through my veins, and I pull myself to my feet. Glancing back at November, I see the tenseness in his gaze- almost overpowering as if he's telling me not to do it.

I turn away before I change my mind, and walk steadily forward- keeping my eyes leveled with Harrison. I bite my bottom lip to keep it from trembling. His glare is stone hard, deceiving.

I hate him.

Before I can even process anything, my fingers find the scissors- wrenching them from my pants. I thrust my arm forward in a quick motion, feeling the adrenaline rush forward as I bring the sharp end down on Harrison.

He screeches, falling to the floor in a fast tumble. I wrench the scissors from his shoulder, aiming for something bigger- deadlier.

Suddenly I feel arms on mine, keeping me from moving.

"Let me go!" I scream, kicking out at Harrison, who holds his bleeding shoulder with one hand.

November moves one hand off my arm and takes the scissors from my hands, tossing them out the door.

"Hazel, calm the fuck down!" He says, pulling me backwards.

I didn't understand what he was doing, but I wasn't giving up just yet. That bastard killed my mother, and I wasn't letting him go.

I finally flee from his grip and bolt forward, landing on top of Harrison. He kicks me in the gut, making me topple over. I groan in pain and reach my hand out, digging my thumb into his wound as hard as I can. Harrison growls and shoves me away, scooting backwards. I scream and reach for him, only to be tugged away again. November pulls me away, saying something I can't register.

I was filled with too much rage to care.

I try to pull away from him, struggling forward.

"Hazel-"

And I'm still. Blood rushing to my head and coming up into my mouth.

I look down, seeing the scissors have been thrust right into my stomach. Harrison looks up above me, his gaze fierce with anger. November takes me into his arms, blocking me from Harrison. I'm too stunned to move, and place my hands on the scissors. Blood oozes onto my shirt, and the metallic smell I've come to dread spreads to my nose. A wave of nausea hits me, and I lean over- dry gagging. Nothing wants to come up.