Chapter 12 ~ Present

Chapter 12

May 11th - After

I woke with a jolt, my heart pounding. November was whimpering in his bed, constantly turning and twisting. I forced myself up and ran my fingers through my hair. Taking a quick sigh, I turn over to November and gently shake him.

"November, wake up. It's okay." My voice is husky from sleep.

November's blind blue eyes open slowly, and they become lighter the longer he stays awake. His blonde hair is tousled just about everywhere, and I have to suppress a fit of laughter.

"Hazel?"

I gently laugh. "Yes, silly. It's just me."

He sits up with a groan, and shoves a hand through his hair- slightly taming the locks that stayed away from him.

I shake off my smile, my eyebrows pulling together. "Nightmare?"

"Yeah," November sighed, putting his head in his hands.

"Me too." I said quietly, replaying the now vague scenes in my head.

It was the same one every time for the past few nights, where my family died right in front of me. Luckily, November didn't ask about it- and I didn't want to talk about it either.

I pull myself up and barely let my arm touch his, giving him reassurance that I had gotten up. I've adjusted to living with a blind person, so I've been able to learn things that help me communicate with him better.

I start toward the wall on the other side, wanting to do some wall sits. I time myself out loud, counting as evenly as possible.

I get to a minute before my legs are on fire.

When I first started, I could barely do 15 seconds- so that meant I have improved. I haven't noticed a muscle difference, but I feel a little more energized to work out when I can. My scissors are under my mattress, the hardest hiding spot on the room.

Besides the two beds and one nightstand, the rest of the room is empty except for some scattered trash and rusted pipes that run along one wall.

While I do some sit-ups, I think about the past few days. Harrison has yet to take one of us back to the room, and he hasn't been around for our food. We haven't eaten for awhile, at least two days. I didn't know what he had planned, but I didn't like it.

As if on que, the door unlocks and slams open- pounding in my ears. My heart starts to thunder against my chest and I bolt to my feet- adrenaline running through my veins.

He looks at me and then at November, who waits almost calmly at the edge of his bed- his blue eyes wide.

"Up, now!" He yells, echoing through the room.

I flinch, my feet glued to the floor.

"Move!" Harrison screams, his low voice a growl.

I finally unstick my feet and bolt over to November, who has already moved expertly to the door. My legs and arms shake, and I bite my lip hard as we start out the door. I didn't notice I was gripping November's arm until he started to wince.

"S-Sorry.." I whisper, loosening my grip.

He smiles wearily, staring straight ahead. He looked afraid- almost full of fear and something I didn't recognize. I frown, about to ask him what's wrong when we abruptly stop.

This time I pull on my heels, not banging against Harrison's back. A sigh escapes my lips and I scoot back a little. The door in front of us we have never gone through, or at least me. A dim light flickers above us, making my fingers tingle.