Chapter 17 ~ Present

Chapter 17

May 26th - After

My calf muscles scream at me, and I finally flop down on the floor. Sweat beads my forehead and I run a hand through my hair. I watch as the door opens a sliver of the way, revealing a tired looking Harrison. His eyes are dull and his cheekbones seem to sink in a little.

He stares at me before turning his body to look at November, who is sound asleep. Harrison growls and stalks toward him, where he yanks him up. November gasps, immediately awake.

"I hope you enjoyed your little nap." He smiled evilly, and I got up in disgust.

I brushed off my pants and waited for him to drag November toward the door. Before he left, I grabbed his arm and stared at him. Lately I couldn't let him leave without looking at him one last time, just in case he didn't come back.

November nodded once, a weak smile on his face before he was pulled away and out the door.

I sink into the edge of my bed and wiped my hands over my face, getting the sweat off. My rapid breaths were the only thing my ears could pick up, besides the faint thrumming of water in the pipes.

Last Halloween, Derek and I had gone to a haunted house. I told him I wasn't afraid, even though I kind of was. I never liked the idea of walking into something and not knowing what was going to happen, kind of like my situation right now.

The remembrance of Derek made me feel guilty and made my heart ache. He would break up with me if he knew about November and I, if I even got out. Ever since I had lost my necklace from him, I felt like I had also lost apart of myself - the part that made me attached to him

Instead of sulking, I got up again, done from my break. I jogged numbly around the small room, dodging the cots and keeping one arm barely brushing the wall for support. My stomach had healed to a simple scar that could only hurt if I thought about the pain I had.

I ran until black dots appeared in my vision, and I finally fell back into my bed. My heart pounds against my chest, from fear and from the exercise. I hoped November came back safe, or I wouldn't know what to do anymore. Exhausted came over me like a wave of heat, and I closed my eyes.

The least I could do was sleep it out, so I tried to. I made myself more comfortable, and kept the sheets at the end of the bed.

My mother came to mind as I drifted off. I wondered how she was, wherever she was. If only I could see her again. I wondered if I would ever join her someday, and finally feel like the weight was lifted from my shoulders.

All my pain and memories could be gone, and I could be free. But November's ocean blue eyes came to mind, and I wouldn't ever be able to forgive myself.

I was too in love with him, and strangely I didn't regret it.

***

I was awake by the time November was dragged back inside like a scrap of paper. Harrison shoved him in, making him fall on his knees.

I quickly pulled myself off my cot and helped him up, directing him to his bed. Harrison stares at me for a few lasting seconds, his face sculpted into an eerie frown. I involuntarily shivered and quickly sat down, keeping my eyes stray of his.

Harrison finally closed the door with a quick thud, the lock clicking in silence. I immediately turn my attention to November, who stares silently at the floor.

"November, what did he do?" I ask soothingly, gripping onto his arm. Under my fingers, I could feel the individual marks that ran up his arms.

He looked up and stood slowly, lifting the hem of his shirt. I gasp as he reveals his back, which has a giant cross cut into his skin. It covered the majority of his back, and ran all the way down his torso. Dried blood clung to the wound, and snakes down untouched flesh.