Chapter 22 ~ Now

Chapter 22

May 29th - Now

|| November POV ||

As I wait for Hazel to press down onto the trigger, thoughts come racing back to my head. I wanted to tell her so much, including how much I loved her.

But I deserved anything she wanted to do to me, and I respected it.

Seconds ticked by, and I wondered if Hazel was hesitating. Suddenly, though, she pulled away - yanking her gun out of my grip. I opened my eyes and wondered why she suddenly stopped.

"Just-- just come on." Hazel grabbed my arm, tugging me back towards the door. I stumbled behind her as a box hit my leg, and I barely caught my balance before she had the door swung open.

She had chosen not to shoot me, so did that mean she still felt something for me? It made my heart leap, but I had to be serious at the moment. I needed to navigate my way to the exit with Hazel before Harrison figured out we were gone.

"This way," I say, taking the front. I veered right and counted my steps. After 50 steps, I turned left.

3 doors.. 2 doors... I could already smell the fresh air.

"Is that it?" Hazel asked, her grip on my hand tightening.

A smile tugged on my lips.

"Yes."

***

|| Hazel POV ||

I immediately took the lead, and bolted to the door with November right on my heels.

Freedom, seconds away. Milliseconds..

"Where do you think you're going?" A deep voice growled, and I stopped seconds from the door - my heart thumping in my chest.

Suddenly Harrison was standing in front of me, his eyes black. I gasp, and took a step back - my back colliding with November's chest.

"How--"

He laughed, silencing me. His eyes bore into mine and in that moment I wanted to hide from that menacing glare, but I kept my feet planted.

"Not so heroic now, are you?" Harrison smiled, and took a step closer.

I whipped my gun up, locking it on his forehead, just like I had with November. The thought of almost wanting to kill him brought chills to my arms, but I ignored them - a bigger problem standing in my way.

Before I could pull the trigger Harrison lashed out, shoving me backwards and making the gun go flying. I let out a scream as November was shoved into the wall painfully and fell to the floor in a heap.

"What happened to our deal, November?" When he didn't answer, Harrison kicked him in the stomach. "Huh?! Did you really feel something for that bitch?!"

November glared up at him, his blue eyes wild. Before he could respond, Harrison kicked him again.

"You piece of shit! You would fall for her?" He screeched, continuing to kick him. I scrambled for the gun, my fingertips grazing the end. I grunted, reaching farther forward.

Pain filled my hand, and I screamed I pain-- recoiling as Harrison's foot crunched into my hand. I was able to squirm my hand out of his grip, and clutch it to my chest, hissing in pain.

"Hazel!" November's voice called, making me turn towards him. He eyed the gun in Harrison's hand and the one I tried to reach for - which was secured behind his foot.

I nodded, and stood up weakly-- my legs wobbling slightly beneath me. Hair fell into my face and I pushed it away out of my face. Sweat collected on my brow and had started to fall down my cheeks like tears.