Chapter 23 ~ Now

Chapter 23

May 29th - Now

My eyes refused to adjust to the sudden brightness, even though dark clouds scattered the sky. A fresh wind of air tumbled into my hair, and I took a breath of the warm, humid air.

November squeezed my hand, and I looked at him through squinty eyes. His eyes were bright blue, and open since he was blind. I felt like I was falling for him all over again.

"Hazel," He says, knocking me out of my daze. "What does it look like?"

I turn and let myself tumble into his arms, burying my head in his chest. "It's cloudy," I say. "But it's so beautiful."

I feel tears slipping down my face, landing in November's shirt. I turn my head to look back out, and take in everything I can. We were in the middle of nowhere, that was for sure. The sun was hidden behind the dark clouds, making it seem kind of like night. Trees blanketed the ground everywhere, their trunks tall and dark.

"The sun is blocked out by the clouds, and there is huge pine trees everywhere." I say. I tell him everything I can, including that is seemed we were in the middle of nowhere.

November takes a few cautious steps forward, his grip so tight and afraid on my hand, I can't help but wince.

"Sorry," November notices, loosening his grip. I can't help the smile that comes to my face.

All I can think is free. We are free.

I suddenly laugh, and kneel to the ground, feeling the soft blades of grass that run along our feet. Tears start to stream down my eyes again, and I lean toward November, resting my head on his shoulder.

"November," I sob. "We're free."

He gives a faint smile, and beckons me into his welcoming chest. I scoot forward and an gratefully enveloped in his arms. Although we haven't worked out our problems yet, I still loved him just as much as I did before.

November nuzzles his face into my hair, and I continue to stare out into the beautiful world. After a few minutes, I realize we should probably keep moving to try and find civilization.

"November, we need to move." I say, unwinding myself from his embrace.

He reluctantly lets me go and I help him up, the pain from the bullet wound in my shoulder aching horribly. Thankfully, it just grazed my shoulder but it still hurt like hell.

I hold tightly onto his arm and keep my side pressed against his at all times. My fear of losing him was achingly high. Blades of grass whipped at my ankles as we trudged farther into the wooded area. It became darker as the pines pressed closer together, and I could almost believe it was night out. But I knew the sun was somewhere up there.

When I first felt it, I gasped. Droplets of rain started to fall from the sky, and I looked up-- amazed.

"November, it's raining." I knew he knew it, but I wanted to tell him anyways so I knew it was really real.

We both smile at the same time and keep our heads up, letting the rain fall onto our faces. I open my mouth and let droplets fall onto my tongue, the sweet taste of it was better than anything I could ever have. I probably hadn't drank anything for a day or two, and I realized at that moment how dehydrated I felt.

November reminds me we need to keep going, and I reluctantly keep my feet moving. It was a lot harder catching the droplets while moving. After only a few minutes, it starts to pour hard. Luckily the trees hold some of it in, but it still beat on our backs as we kept walking. I didn't know where we were going, and November certainly wouldn't either.

Even through the hard rain, we still managed to keep going. It seemed like hours, but it was probably just 30 minutes before I finally felt too exhausted to keep walking. The sky only got worse, the already heavy dark clouds churning into bigger clouds with lightning and bad rain.

"November we need to rest awhile." No matter how much I didn't want to say it, I knew we both needed some rest and needed to get out of the rain.

He nodded, agreeing. "Is there any shelter around?"

I turn my body to look around through the thick tree lines and rain, droplets of water dripping down my face like sweat.

"I don't know, not any that I see." I say.

There were a few smaller trees that held a little more shelter, and a few bushes that might do-- but I didn't really want to resort to that. But it might just be our only option for now until we can get back on our feet in better weather.

"Come on." I pull November along wearily through the thick grass, and finally end up under a pretty dry tree.

It's thick branches held off water a lot better than any leaves could, so I finally made a spot for us under it. I flatten out the grass and sit down, pulling November with me. Both our backs rest on the bark, and I sigh heavily-- my muscles aching and my shoulder throbbing.

"Hazel--" November starts.

"--no, not right now. It's okay." I already knew what he was going to try to say. Right now wasn't the time to fix things.

"Let's just be us for now, okay?" I take his hand in mine and squeeze it.

November turns to look at me, his blue eyes glowing in the dim light.

"Okay." He whispers.

When he opens his arms to me, I let my head fall on his chest and close my eyes. He gently stoked my head in a rhythmic motion, and I stretched my arms out to keep him in a hug.

I start to drift asleep when November suddenly shifts, and I feel myself being tugged down to the ground. I open my eyes to see November staring straight at me, both of us now laying on the ground. I unconsciously reach out and brush away the hair that fell to his face, smiling afterwards.

Goosebumps start to form on my skin from my drenched clothes. Although it was probably close to June, it didn't feel like it. I started to shiver and scooted as close as I possibly could to November. He responded by leaving no space between us and hugging me close.

I felt tears threatening to be spilled again, and for this last time-- I let them fall while November held me. I wondered what Derek would think once I got home.

Would he be happy for me? Or would he hate me forever?

I felt guilty, and didn't really care which one he wanted to chose, because I deserved any kind of pain it could put him through.

I'm sorry, Derek. But my life has changed.

I hope you can accept it.

***
A/N: wow, guys. 5.2k?! Thank you soo much! <<<<333

PLEASE READ -----
A big favor to ask you guys... I've gotten bored of the cover I have for this book. If you've got any suggestions, please comment the URL to it because I work off of my smart phone. I don't have a computer haha. I prefer something sadist for a cover, maybe something similar to the one I have now. Someone with blonde hair and blue eyes tho(November) of course or black / dark brown hair and green eyes(Hazel). I'm not too picky, but I won't chose just anything if you know what I mean. The winner will receive a follow and a dedication! Anyone who joins will receive an automatic follow from today(June 7th) to June 10th.

***REMEMBER: YOU DONT HAVE TO MAKE A COVER, JUST SEND THE URL OF A PICTURE FOR A COVER.***

I have an app I make covers with, so don't worry about it! (: this will end on JUNE 10TH. I'm not accepting anything afterwards unless it's like WOAH lol(:

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm so happy people like this book because I didn't think this was going to get this much attention, seriously.

Thank yyooouuuuu!!! Ily guys!

SOTC: Sweater Weather By The Neighborhood <3

Stay fresh my babes.

Auna :{D<33