Chapter 6 ~ Present

Chapter 6

April 9th - After

My fingers were glued to the floor by a thin sheet of slick ice.

"November?" No answer.

"November! Where are you?" My eyes wouldn't open, and I had to shake off the ice from my eyelashes. I finally got my eyes to unstick and looked around, shivers wracking my body.

"Hazel?" A cracked voice came from the corner and I whipped around.

"November," I actually laughed in relief and crawled to him.

We weren't in our cell, that was for sure. Boxes hung from frozen shelves in the room, and layers of ice coated the floor.

It smelled like metallic blood and raw meat.

"He put us in a freezer for punishment." He whispered, his breath showing in the air.

My arms were hugged to my chest and I sat next to November. How long was he planning on keeping us in here?

My fingers started to grow numb and my legs couldn't help but start to also shake. I had never been so cold in my life. I had sweats on and a thin sweater, thankfully, but November still only had on the linen from my bed and different colored sweats, since we hadn't been to the bathing room again. Most of his chest and his entire arms were without any warmth.

"Scoot forward," November murmurs. "In front of me."

Puzzled, I slowly pull myself off the ice I was sitting on and slide away, pushing myself to sit in front of him.

"What now?" I ask, my teeth chattering.

It wasn't as warm as when I was next to November, so I didn't understand what he was trying to show. I suddenly feel his hands find my shoulders and pull my backward. My stomach hurls and my head falls on his chest. I feel him shivering beneath me and try to pull closer- to give any warmth to him possible. I felt so bad for him and also so thankful that he would try to warm me up when he himself needed more than me.

"November, I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"You are always saving me- helping me. I gave nothing in return for it." I say, hiding my face in his chest. I make sure not to lay on his scar, which still is a bright red.

November wraps his arms over me, enveloping me into warmth. The strength of his hold makes me feel safe.

"But you have." He says into my hair, and I feel the heat from his breath on my skin. "You reminded me of hope. Even when I didn't believe you- we would end up in a situation that you had to tell me it- and finally I started I believe you. Thank you."

I close my eyes and take in his words like a good student does to a teacher.

Had I given him hope? If I hadn't, would he have killed me back in the room with the man in black?

I look at the single mark in my wrist, wishing it could disappear into thin air.

"Hazel?" November says quietly, barely reaching my ears.

"Yes?" I pull my sleeve over the mark, hiding it away.

"I might not be able to see," His hand finds my head, and I feel his fingers twirling my hair around. "But I've realized I don't need to see to tell you this- and I might be going crazy but-" He abruptly stops, a splitting pause filling the air around me- suffocating me.

"I'm falling in love with you."

I reach for my necklace- fighting the words, but it's gone. How had I not noticed? What happened to it?