Chapter 19 ~ Now

Chapter 19

May 27th - Now
___________
November POV
___________

I shut the cellar door quietly, locking it quickly. It was time for this to end, I couldn't stand it anymore. If I had kept going any longer, I wouldn't be able to pull myself away from her.

Running a hand through my hair, I steadied myself against the wall, easily remembering the path to Harrison's office.

With a small knock, I let myself in and opened the door. "I'm done." I force myself to say, feeling horrible afterwards. I'm so sorry, Hazel.

I heard Harrison get up, and the next thing I knew his hand was on my shoulder.

"Good job, November." His voice was filled with pride as he patted my shoulder, and I felt like throwing up. "Did she admit she was in love with you?"

"Yes." I say. She had told me she loved me days ago, but I didn't want to leave her yet - at least not without a memorable goodbye.

Harrison chuckled. "Good."

Before Hazel had came, Harrison promised my freedom as long as I played a stupid game of his. Make his next victim fall in love with me. I didn't think I was going to also fall in love in the process, so I had agreed automatically. But she was so fucking irresistible, I couldn't help myself. I fell for her. Now this was just going to be harder on me, especially when she finds out.

Everything I had endured from Harrison while she was here was real, no doubt. I was still his damn subject for the while being, no matter what deal we had made.

I wanted so badly to tell her what I was doing, but I couldn't. I hadn't been in sunshine and open air for almost 10 years, and I craved it. I wanted my freedom too badly, and I didn't know if Hazel was worth that much to give that up.

"Come, let's celebrate before we put her in the room." Harrison pulled me along by my sleeve, so I didn't have to navigate along the walls.

He led me through a series of hallways, as I could tell before entering a room. I heard the pleasant snap of a beer bottle and felt my lips tug into a smile. I needed to forget her now, she wasn't apart of my life anymore.

I was handed a bottle, and I chugged it down, eager to sober my feelings. Warmth spread through my throat and I sighed, feeling some of the weight being lifted from my shoulders. But I still couldn't get her out of my mind, and it was driving me crazy. I wanted to feel good now that I wasn't a prisoner anymore and I didn't want to feel guilty about deceiving her. Every time Hazel had smiled or told me we would get out together, I felt a tug in my heart and had got dangerously close to telling her everything.

Maybe once I finally got out, I could get the police over here and save her. Harrison had probably already thought that I would go there anyway and had planned something - but at least I could try. Maybe it would finally relieve me of the guilt that swam in my veins and weighed me down. It was the least I could do, because now Hazel would forever hate me.

I knew her mother was going to die, and I knew about all the things Harrison was planning on doing to her after I left. I was probably a monster to her - no - I already was. I deserved anything and everything she could throw at me if she ever met me again.

I meant it when I last told her I love you, because it was the last one she would ever take to heart.

I tipped back the rest of my bottle, losing my interest in drinking. It didn't feel right. My heart ached and my stomach churned. I found a trash can and hastily threw my bottle in, my eyebrows pulling together.