Chapter 21 ~ Now

Chapter 21

May 29th - Now

"Shh, it's alright." My mother's soothing voice called to me, her gentle hands brushing over my head.

I let my eyes adjust, even though my vision doesn't fully come to. I try to move my hands, but everything seems to hurt, so I stop moving them with a painful sigh.

"Now, now. Don't move." I look up to see my mother, her bright green eyes bright and her soft brown hair tumbling over her shoulders. She looked a lot like me, almost too much.

"Mother?" I blink several times, her face suddenly foggy.

I gasp as her face changes into mine, the dark circles filling in her soft skin and her green eyes turning duller. Her cheekbones sink in and her arms suddenly become skinner and a little smaller. I sit up, as I realize I'm suddenly staring at my own reflection.

My opposite self brings her index finger to her lips, hushing me even though I had nothing to say.

"It's not over." She smiles weakly at me, and I realize I am on the edge of tears.

"Come back, Hazel."

"Hazel! No, please don't die.. Come back!" November's voice is foggy in my ears, and I urge myself to open my eyes.

I finally am able to pry my eyes open, and a cough is release from my throat. I gasp as November crouches before me, his blonde hair tousled on his head and his blue eyes wild.

"Oh, thank God." He breathes, pushing a hand through his hair.

I immediately try to back away from him, but find myself still against the wall. Blood stains the ground below me, and I remembered I had only cut one wrist and had passed out from blood loss before I could do the other.

My pulse races though, and my skin tingled from where November had tried to check for a pulse.

"Why are you here?" I ask blatantly, thrilled and also angry all at the same time.

November reaches over to grab my wrist, but I yank it back, holding my hands to my chest. The blood had stopped, thank goodness, so I was only left with some fatigue.

He sighs. "We don't have a lot of time."

I stare at him, confused. When I don't answer, he looks down-- almost looking ashamed.

"We're escaping." He says.

I felt my heart leap in my chest. He came back for me? This had to be a dream.

"What?" I whisper, not knowing what was truth and lie anymore.

November reaches again to grab my wrist and this time I let him.

"Look, I'm sorry. For everything." He says, his eyes full of regret. "I've actually loved you ever since I first heard your voice. I didn't want to admit it--" November pauses, biting his lip. "--I didn't want to agree with myself because I truly did want to be free."

His gaze burns in mine, and I can't look away. "Before I left, I realized how much you really meant to me, and I couldn't leave you behind."

His words are like honey to my ears, and I have to fight the urge to jump I to his arms - just to remember the feeling.

"I-I don't know.." I say truthfully. He had left me once, would he leave me twice? Could I even forgive him for what he has done to me?

Before I can say anymore, November pulls me into a tight embrace, not daring to let me escape it. I finally give up after several times of trying to pry away, and let my head rest against his shoulder.