A state of mind

Ok, so I am going to update now instead of on Saturday. But there is a special reason behind it. Read the A/N at the end to find out!

Chapter 9

I cheerfully skip- no kidding- out of the 'Kitchen' and through the blank corridors. I finish up my 5th chocolate chip cookie and start walking again. If you knew how life was on this hellicarrier, you would have been skipping too. Most of the agents would have already eaten these.

Deciding that I didn't want to head back to the lab, I headed for the next obvious place. The control room. I can't help but wonder if Stark and Rogers are still in that argument. Sliding silently through the doors, I inferred that Banner would have left the lab by now if they were. Sneaking around, staying in the shadows, I head over to the only people I recognize. Thor and Coulson. Both were standing with their backs to me, or rather the shadows. Coulson was looking at Thor, who was staring out the window in thought.

"When I first came to Earth," I hear Thor say, "Loki's rage followed me here. And your people paid the price. And now again. In my youth, I courted war." I stayed were I was as Fury walked in. Heading straight passed me and settling on the stairs, leaning against the railing.

"War hasn't started yet.You think you can make Loki tell us what the tesseract is?" Thor turned to look at Fury and shook his head.

"I do not know. Loki's mind is far afield, its not just power he craves. Its vengeance, upon me. There's no pain that would prize his need from him."

"A lot of guys think that, until the pain stops."

"What are you asking me to do?" I took this moment to step into the light. Standing upon the landing, which is connected to the stairs Fury is standing on. Thor is on the level below us, and I can tell he doesn't want to do anything.

"I am asking what are you prepared to do?"

"Loki is prisoner."

"Then why do I feel like he's the only one person on this boat that wants to be here?" Fury demands. Thor remained silent, so I decided to make my presence known.

"What do you expect us to do?" It was Fury's turn to be silent as Thor looked up at me.

"My apologies, Lady Astrid. I did not see you there."

"I kept to the shadows, Thor. You don't need to apologize. And please call me Ash."

"Of course." We are all silent again.

"What if we got him to spill the plans?" Coulson suggests.

"And how exactly to you expect us to do that?" Fury counters.

"I could try and read his mind." I try, "Use my powers a little. I won't plant any thoughts in his mind."

"Are you sure Loki does not know of your powers?"

"Unless he also got the memo, and except for my shield, no."

"It is worth a shot. Right now, we are clueless on our next idea. Good luck." He walks off.

"Lady- I mean, Ash. Are you sure you want to try this? Loki's mind is a minefield." I nod.

"Very Well."

"Ash, I'm not so sure you should try this. I mean, he is the God of Mischief and Lies. Besides, you've never exactly tried out your powers before." I sigh at Coulson. Then I have the largest grin on my face.

"Well, there's a first time for everything!" I run to the center of the platform and sit on my knees. Thor and Coulson run up the stairs and stand next to me. I block out all the sounds. Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes.

I can feel every life form on the ship. Like, Stark and Banner are in the lab, still working hard. This is cool.

Ok, Ash. No more distractions. I focus only on the Asgardians. I focus on the one that is farther away from me.

Loki flash's in my mind, a visual of what he is doing right now. Before the picture slipped away, I saw that he was just staring at a wall. I attempt to walk into his mind.

Nothing.

I scrunch my eye brows together in confusion and press forward. A cold chill passes through me. I immediately set up walls mentally, seeing each one before it faded away. But I know it was still there.

A cold laugh fills my ears. Getting louder and louder with each passing second. No matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't stop. My hands instinctively reach up and press against my ears. My body leans forward as I mentally push against the force.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Head!" I scream. My eyes shoot open and I am painting heavily. Hands grip my shoulders as I slowly sit up.

"Are you Ok, Ash? What happened?" I take a few more breaths before answering.

"Loki. He blocked me out of his mind at the last minute. Then he went and tried to get into mine."

"Did my Brother harm you in any way?" I shake my head. I hear a sound as Jarvis starts up.

"You must calm down, Miss. Breathing as heavily and quickly as you are is quickening your heart rate." I see the records in front of me.

"She is under Loki's control!"

Coulson keeps his hands on my shoulders and quickly shoots back at Thor. "No, Thor! She is only in what we call her holographic mode. She is seeing holograms that we can't, which is why her eyes are that color."

"So, she is in control of herself?"

"Yes, Thor." I reply, slowly getting up. "Jarvis, Holo mode, off."

I catch my breath for a final time as Coulson turns to me.

"Got any more ideas that we could use?" I think for a moment.

"I have one idea that I know will work."

A/N- Here you are!

"*looks at note card* Before I start ranting like always, why are you so exited?"

I got a letter!

"*Has an Are-You-Kidding-Me Face on* A letter. That is what you're exited about."

Not just any letter. It is my acceptance letter. I got in to the High School I want to attend! The only downside is that I will be a Freshman.

"Ha. Anyway, Comment, vote and follow!"

And you call me childish. Anyway, the picture on the side is a collage I made for my profile, but won't show up fully.

~Dusk