The act of learning

Chapter 10

"There's not many people who can sneak up on me." Loki turned from facing the wall to look at Nat, who was entering the room.

Yep. Using an Agent as bait to get Loki to spill. That was my brilliant idea. The best person for that was Nat. I don't know what she was going to do yet, but I trusted her. I was back in the lab, her orders. I watching everything unfold through my Holographic Mode. Jarvis stays silent as the conversation rings in my ears.

"But you figured I'd come."

"After. After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And that I would cooperate."

"I want to know what you've done to Agent Barton." I strain to keep my eyes from widening. What is she trying to say? What, I may be a little tomboyish, but I am still a teenager.

"I'd say I've expanded his mind."

"And once you've won. Once your king of the mountain. What happens to his mind?"

"Is this love, Agent Romanoff?" I knew it! Coulson owes me.

"Love is for children. I owe him a debt. And he owns someone else one." My face drops, remembering the day she was talking about; Forgetting about Coulson. I shake it of and focus back to the scene. Loki walks towards the glass.

"Tell me." Nat walks forward and sits in a chair. Loki stares intently at her.

"Before I worked for S.H.I.E.L.D., I.........uh, well, made a name for myself. I had a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I used it for. Or on. I got on S.H.I.E.L.D.s radar in a bad way. Barton was sent to kill me. He made a different call."

I really didn't expect her to spill that much. I didn't expect her to spill at all!

"And what would you do if I vowed to spare him?"

"Not let you out." He laughed.

"Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man."

"Regimes fall everyday. I tend not to weep over that. I'm Russian......Or was."

"What do you want."

"Its really not that complicated. I've got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."

"Can you? Can you wipe out that much red? Drakov's daughter? São Paulo? The hospital fire? Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping, its gushing red. And you think saving a man, no more virtuous than yourself, will change anything?" He gets a little closer to the glass, angry.

"This is the basest sentimentally! This is a child at prayer. Pathetic!" I look past the hologram to see Stark and Banner still working. I get up and slip out the door.

"You lie and kill at the service of liers and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code. Something that makes up for the horrors. But they are part of you, and they will never go away."

I feel a tug in the back of my head. I lean against a wall and groan; Squeezing my eyes shut. A flash passes. Steve is standing in front of a crate that we have in the storage rooms. Pulling what looked to be a Hydra weapon out of it. I open my electric blue eyes and look back at the screen. Loki slams his fist onto the glass, making Nat jump a little.

"I won't kill Barton. Not until I make him kill you. Slowly. Intimately. In every way he knows you fear. And when he'll wake, just long enough to see his work. And when he screams, I'll split his skull!" My eyes widen. "This is my bargain, you mewling quim!" Nat turns and starts to 'cry'. I smirk.