Hard Truth and Acceptance

Chapter 12

I step onto the cool ground of the neighborhood park. The cool wind rushes to great me as I step out of the surrounding trees and onto the sidewalk. I turn right and start to head away from the cheerful laughs and screams from the children who play without a care in the world.

The noise was barely audible as I turn down Hunter Dr. I walk up to the edge of the driveway that lead up to the tan colored, two-story house. I take a deep breath and walk up the pathway. Reaching under the fake plant and grabbing the spare key.

"Mom? Dad? I'm home! Just like I promised!" I holler, closing the door and walking in. Mom rushes out of the kitchen and gives me a hug. She pulls back and looks at me.

"Sweetie! I am so glad you're home! Why didn't you tell me you were coming back early from your deployment?"

"What?" I ask, "Deployment?"

"Yes, you called and said that you had to leave because you were being deployed last minute."

"But, we were all in Germany together. Don't you remember?" I ask.

"No honey, I've always said that I wanted to visit Germany, but we've never been." She tells me, a little concerned, "Anyway, why didn't you call me? Your father and I could have picked you up."

"Oh.....um, yea. I wanted to surprise the both of you. Surprise?" I stutter, still confused.

"Alright. Now, come on, Astrid. Lets go see your father, and then up to bed with you. You must be exhausted."

"Um, yea." I say quietly as she drags me into the living room.

"Astrid! Come here and give me a hug!" Dad exclaims. I walk over and hug him.

"So, what happened?" He asked as we pulled away.

"You were there. Don't you remember what happened?"

"Where was I? Astrid, you were the one on deployment, not us."

"But, I never went on deployment." I glance between the two of them, "Don't you guys remember Germany? The party?" Mom rushes over to me and places her hands on my shoulders.

"You must be exhausted. Go upstairs to your room and go to bed." She says, steering me out of the room. I sigh and walk up the stairs. I walk down the hallway, passing millions priceless memories. I get to the end of the hall and open up the last door.

Stepping into my room, nothing has changed. The dark blue walls are still covered in paintings, pictures, and posters. The bed still made. The room spotless. I close the door and walk over to my wooden dresser. I grab a pair of pj's out of it and throw them on. I jump into bed.

I stare at the ceiling before it comes to me. Of course Mom and Dad don't remember! Germany was a big event that the public cannot know about. S.H.I.E.L.D must have erased every ones minds, including my parents. Summoning my spell book, I decide that I am not going to sit around and have them think a lie. And that I'm not going to get much sleep.

------TIME SKIP TO AROUND MID-DAY------

I can't do this. Yes, I can. No. I can't. Yes. I can.

The argument with myself ends as I step into the living room. The T.V. goes off as I step in front of them.

"Hey, kiddo. What's up?" Dad asks.

"I need to talk with both of you."

"What is it sweetie?" Mom asks.

"You might not believe me, but everything that I am about to tell you is the truth." They nod there heads.

"In recent events that have happened, I realized that I need to start telling you the entire truth. I don't want it to come out if I never make it home one day. I have been stretching the truth for a little while now. And to do that, I will start at the beginning.

It all started a few years ago. Maybe around 6th grade. Two men - who I am now close to- came up to me with a proposal. I wanted to refuse, but they told me that they desperately needed my help. That the organization that they worked for needed my help. In return, they promised protection from the war over seas. So, I agreed.

The cover was what you know as Navy Kids. I pretty much never go on base. I am the only one, because I am the youngest in the organization. About 8 years younger then the next agent. When you are told that I am on deployment, I am either at one of our many top secret bases, or on a mission.

Over the years, many people have taught me many measures of self defense. And how to use any weapon around me. I have mostly been trained by two friends I consider family. What they have taught me helps me everyday."

"What.....What are there names?" Mom stutters out.

"Code names Black Widow and Hawkeye. With everything coming to light, I don't think its safe to tell you there real names quite yet. If we are speaking about other people who have helped me, I grew close to three more. Their names will be revealed in time. One represents a mother figure. One I thought of as a father figure. Both played those roles when I was away from you. The other is my Director, or boss.

The organization that I work for is called S.H.I.E.L.D. It stands for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logic's Division. Not even the president knows about us. We are all working on a case that is dangerous. It could harm the whole world. During this, after Germany, I found out something that I should have already been told about. My powers."

"Honey, are you ok?"

"Are you sure that you aren't sick from being over seas?" Dad asks after Mom.

"No, I am not sick. And I am ok. I can also prove it. Just don't freak out ok?" They nod there heads. I bend my elbows and reach my hands toward them. I keep my eyes open and mutter the spell; My hands begin to glow. Mom and Dad's eyes widen before looking confused. I put my hands down.

"Do you remember?"

"Yes, we do, Astrid." Mom says, "Before we go off on you, did you know that your eyes glow black with your hands. And that your eyes are purple a second after you return to normal?" I shake my head.

"What were you thinking, standing up against someone like that?!" Dad yells, "You could have been killed!" He calms down a bit.

"But, I guess you knew how to handle it."

"Wait, you aren't mad at me?" I ask.

"Now that you told us that you work for a government agency that nobody knows about, not really."

"You believe me?"

"Of course, Astrid. Your mother and I saw that plane with S.H.I.E.L.D. printed on it fly up. Now, what are your powers?"

I tell them everything else. From my powers to what made me come home. Mom even shed a few tears. Mine had all dried up. The T.V. turns on right after I tell them that I don't think I'm going back. Tony appears on screen.

"Mini Stark. I know you can can hear me. I hacked your house, JARVIS helped." Tony says, a grin on his face. I shake my head as his expression turns serious.

"We all know that you don't want to come back. But we may need your help. So please be on stand by." Wow, Stark saying please? He must be sincere about this.

"We figured out that he is going to target New York. What is left of us are gonna go after Loki. Whatever you do, be careful. Stark out." The T.V. shuts off.

"Go." Dad says.

"What?"

"Go help them, Astrid." Mom agrees, "Who ever was with them, they're going to need you help. Besides, how many times can you say that your daughter helped save New York from an alien attack?" I laugh and nod my head.

"Alright. But, would you like to be the first ones to see my suit?"

A/N- I am so happy. Thank you all!!!

"*looks at notecard* We have reached over 1,000 reads. Thanks to everybody who helped us."

I am also gald to say that a NEW CHARACTER WILL BE INTRODUCED next chapter! Before I sign off, please go and check out my irl friend, love_heart01's books. (I know you are going to hate me for this.) And also, go check out my collab account ScarandKat!

"Thanks! So, Vote, Comment, Follow!"

~Dusk