02. Of Wishes And Lunches

"It hurts when you have someone in your heart, but not in your arms."

SHAWN LOOKED UP and his brown eyes poured into my desperate ones. We held the gaze for a while before he looked away and said to his mom and sister,

"The girl in question is here, remember? Do you want me revealing my plans for our anniversary in her presence? It's supposed to be a surprise, you know."

"Ooh," Aaliyah wiggled her eyebrows and her mother smiled knowingly while I shifted uncomfortably in my chair.

Shawn shook his head and his gaze returned to his food. The dinner passed by quickly with little chats here and there. When we were done eating, I helped Aaliyah with the dishes while Karen went upstairs to check on Manuel.

"Don't you sometimes feel like Shawn is becoming distant?" Aaliyah asked me.

"What do you mean?" I played dumb.

"Come on, Eiffel. It's obvious," Aaliyah said. "I'm not a kid anymore, I can tell that Shawn doesn't treat you the way he should,"

I swallowed and focused on the dish that I was wiping clean. Aaliyah was totally right. Shawn never seemed to care for our relationship and many times, I wondered why he didn't just break up with me since he didn't care about me. I never got an answer to that question, though.

To others, it might have seemed like we were boyfriend and girlfriend, but Shawn and I were two entirely different entities that had been given the title of boyfriend and girlfriend. I was in love with him and I didn't understand why he didn't love me too. It had never ceased to bother me.

"Maybe it's because he's been busy lately," I made up an excuse for my boyfriend. "I'm sure he'll come around soon,"

Aaliyah threw me a look that meant she wasn't convinced, but before she could say anything, Karen walked into the kitchen.

"Where's Shawn?" She wanted to know.

"In his room," Aaliyah replied, placing a plate in the cupboard.

Karen sighed and went upstairs to get her son. A few minutes later, I heard soft footsteps which were then followed by loud ones. Karen had gotten Shawn to come downstairs. She appeared in the kitchen with a scowling Shawn right behind her.

"Eiffel, Shawn is going to take you home, okay?" She said to me.
"No, no, I can walk home," I said quickly. "It's not far, I'll manage by myself,"

"You see," Shawn rolled his eyes. "She's fine by herself. I don't understand why you're treating her like a piece of china,"

"Nonsense, total nonsense," Karen shut him down. "I'm not having my future daughter-in-law walk home by herself this late at night. Who knows what creep may be lurking in the bushes,"

My heart fluttered a bit at the fact that Karen had referred to me as her future daughter-in-law.

"It's only eight thirty," Shawn argued. "It's not that late."

"Shawn Peter Raul Mendes, you are taking your girlfriend home this instant, do you understand?"

Shawn grunted a response, his scowl deepening and Karen nodded before leaving the kitchen with a giggling Aaliyah who was probably enjoying her brother's torment.

"Let's go." Shawn growled and left the kitchen while I followed closely behind him.

I hugged Karen and Aaliyah goodbye before leaving. Shawn frowned at this and I quickly left. We got to his sleek black car and I stood at the passenger's door, somehow hoping that he would be chivalrous for once and open the door for me.