15. Of Wishes And Dates

"You cannot buy friendship, but you can earn it. If someone comes for help, be a true friend."

▫▫▫

The weekend came to an end and I concluded Saturday was the best part of it.

Shawn and I had spent the rest of the morning at my house and it had been totally awkward at breakfast, considering the fact that we had almost kissed.

It was hard to explain what I'd felt at that moment when our lips were about to meet before his phone rang. An euphoric rush had surged through my mind, completely filling my senses and it was a wonder why I didn't cough out butterflies because I knew that there were tons of them in my stomach.

I smiled silently, pushing my thoughts to the back of my mind. I opened my locker and when I looked up, I saw Lynelle running down the hallway towards me. I briefly wondered how she could run in those heeled boots she was wearing.

"Eiffel," She panted when she finally got to my locker where I was standing. "I ran...all the way...from the library...just to get...to you,"

Lynelle clutched her chest while her spare hand was resting on her knee as she tried to calm her erratic heartbeat.

"What's up?" I asked, taking out my Spanish textbook out of my locker.

"You wouldn't believe what just happened, Eiffel!" She said, flipping her curly hair over her slender shoulders.

I arched an eyebrow, waiting for her to speak.

"Guess who asked me out to dinner at that new restaurant downtown?"

Lynelle grinned wider than a Cheshire cat and I held my breath, hoping it wasn't Shawn.

"Who's the lucky guy?" I copied her grin.

"Remember that new guy that started schooling here a couple of weeks ago? He's got brown hair, blue eyes,"

I scrunched my eyebrows, no face coming into my mind.

"He's in our history class," Lynelle described further and then it just clicked.

"Jace?" I questioned.

"Yeah, you know him," Lynelle said as she began to fan herself with her hand to let out some of her excitement.

For a second, I let out a sigh of relief 'cause I was glad that it wasn't Shawn who asked her out to dinner. I would literally crumbled into a pile of broken pieces if it happened. But Jace asking Lynelle out was definitely interesting. I'd never even seen them both together and Jace had never mentioned anything about Lynelle to me, so I knew that there must be something more to it. I made a mental note to see Jace at lunch.

"You'll come over to my place after school to help me pick out the perfect outfit for the date, right?" Lynelle looked at me with huge puppy dog eyes. "Pretty please?"

"Uh...yeah," I replied and Lynelle crushed me into a hug before hurrying down the hallway.

I was greeted by the aroma of food as I stepped into the cafeteria. I purchased my food and found Jace at our usual table. His tray was piled up with food and he was stuffing his face with it. This was unusual for Jace because on a normal day, he ate like someone dieting. He was pretty picky about his food.

"You're eating so much," I chuckled, lowering myself into a seat. "What's up with you?"

Jace swallowed the food in his mouth and gulped down half his bottle of water before speaking, "I only eat this much when I'm stressed out,"