32. Of Wishes And Apologies

"Sometimes, even if it's not your fault, you say sorry just to end the fight."

▫▫▫

"I had this amazing idea last night," Shawn said to me as he walked me to my second period class a day later.

We still got a few stares from the people in the hall, but I discarded them.

"What is it?" I asked, looking up at him.

A smirk slowly formed on Shawn's lips. "Don't you think it'd be cool for us to sneak out tonight and drive down to my parents' lake house? I think the lake's an ideal place for a date,"

"Are you crazy?" I nearly screeched. "That place is out of town and it's a school night, we'll never make it back in time for school tomorrow,"

"You worry to much, Eiffel," Shawn said. "We're not going to miss school,"

I bit my lip unsurely. "It's just that sneaking out of town at night is just a little bit...extreme?" I hoped I had used to the right word.

"There's nothing extreme about it. It'd just be something like a romantic getaway, you know,"

A chuckle escaped my mouth. "I never thought I'd see the day when you'd talk about a romantic getaway,"

"What?" He defended with a laugh. "I get bright ideas too,"

"Okay, okay, fine." I held my hands up in surrender. "I'll go with you, but we've got to tell our parents where we're going. You know, just in case something happens to us,"

"First of all, we don't have to tell our parents,"

"Why?" I wanted to know.

"Because it isn't a romantic getaway any longer if everyone know about it," he answered. "Second of all, nothing is going to happen to us,"

"But if you never know, Shawn. What if the car runs out of gas and we're stranded on the highway, or we're attacked by some kind of lake monster or-"

Shawn chuckled and hushed my overflow of words by pressing a finger to my lips. "Like I said earlier, nothing is going to happen to us. And if anything does happen to us, I'll be right there to protect you. Trust me, love."

My stomach did somersaults. Love. He called me love.

"Okay," I sighed as we reached my literature class.

"Perfect, I'll be at your house by nine tonight to sneak you out." He pressed his lips to my cheek and sent me a flirtatious wink as he sauntered down the hallway.

My cheeks turned crimson and I calmed my ferociously beating heart before stepping into the classroom. The class was noisy as my loud classmates thought it was better to chatter like parrots instead of waiting quietly for the teacher to arrive.

I took a seat in the middle row and pulled out my books for the class. As I wrote the date at the top part of a page in my notebook, I felt someone sit down beside me. I turned to see Tanner. He was present at school today.

His black eye wasn't as bad as it looked yesterday and the purplish bruise on his jaw was slowly fading away.

"Hey," he smiled, pulling out his own books.

"Hi," I smiled back.

Thanks to my observation skills, I'd noticed that he'd been acting weird yesterday when Lynelle, Jace, Shawn and I had gone to visit him. I noticed how there had been some sort of glaring contest between him and Shawn. Weren't they on good terms now? Had Shawn not apologize to him?