10. Of Wishes And Questions

"That moment when you're asked a question you've never wanted to answer..."

▫▫▫

The beeping of the machine sitting beside my bed was beginning to get annoying and I had to resist the temptation of smashing it against the wall to end the infuriating noise it was making.

I wanted to open my eyelids, but they were determined to stay closed. I couldn't afford to let that happen, so I tried with all my might and they drew open slowly.

My vision was blurred at first, but then, everything became clear and I figured that I was in a hospital room. My memory was a bit fuzzy. I remembered getting hit by a car, but after that, everything just went blank.

My hand found its way to my forehead and I felt that it had been bandaged. Almost immediately, sharp pain shot through my head like a migraine. It was almost excruciating and I gasped for her.

Just then, a young nurse walked into by hospital room. She was blonde, slim and above all, her face was lit up with surprise. She ran to my side and read my pulse from the beeping machine beside me.

"Are you okay?" She asked carefully.

I groaned, bringing my hand to my head. "I have a headache, I think,"

The nurse nodded in understanding and she gave me something, after which I passed out.

The next time I woke up, the pain in my head was gone. I saw my parents sitting at either side of me. My mother's head was bowed her head and with the way she kept dabbing her eyes with her handkerchief, I guessed she was crying. My father on the other hand, looked as if he was praying.

"Mom," my voice came out hoarse. "Dad,"

"Eiffel," they both said simultaneously as their eyes darted to the fragile frame of their daughter lying on the hospital bed.

My face broke out in a weak smile as well as theirs.

"You're okay," my mom held my hand with tender and motherly care. She sounded as if she was trying to convince herself. "Jared, she's okay."

My dad nodded, giving her a small smile. Tears of joy streamed down her face as she wrapped her arms around me.

"You were unconscious for thirty four hours and I thought we'd lost you, just like.." She stopped herself before she could complete her statement. Immediately, I understood what she was talking about.

"We're never going to experience anything like that again, Isabelle," my dad told her. "Lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice,"

My mom wiped her eyes, lowering herself into her seat. "You're right. It's in the past."

And just like that, the topic was abandoned.

"Karen and Aaliyah are here. Manuel couldn't make it, he's on a business trip," My dad broke the brooding silence. "Oh, and a young man who introduced himself as Jace. He says he's your friend. That true?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm friends with Jace,"

"You never mentioned him," my dad said.