22. Of Wishes And Lattes

"A book without words is like love without a kiss. It's empty."

▫▫▫

"Hello?" Shawn pressed the iPhone to his ear and there was a pause before he spoke again. "It's ready? Okay, I'll come by tomorrow to pick it up...Yeah...Thanks."

The call ended and the tucked his phone into his pocket while I wondered who he had been talking to and what he was going to pick up tomorrow. I couldn't bring myself to ask, since it was none of my business. I kept quiet until he looked up at me again.

"Do you want to go home now?" He asked me, and I looked down at our plates which were virtually void of all food.

"We're done, so yeah."

Shawn nodded and paid the bill. It was a few minutes to eight by the time we left the restaurant. It had already grown dim and the streetlights were on as we walked back home.

"Did you, um, enjoy the restaurant?" Shawn seemed nervous as he asked and I knew that he was only looking for a way to ask if I'd enjoyed the date with him.

"It was fun," I replied truthfully. "You were fun,"

There was a faint dusting of red on his cheeks. Did I just make Shawn blush? However, it disappeared before I could be sure.

"And you were great company," he told me.

He then mumbled something under his breath. I didn't hear it clearly, but it sounded something like, I wonder why I hadn't taken you out before now.

A group of seemingly drunk guys walked our way and Shawn gripped my hand protectively. Warmth coursed through me like it had never done before. They walked past us, apparently meaning no harm. But that didn't stop Shawn from holding my hand still and I loved it when he did that.

"What's your middle name?" He asked out of the blue.

"Nicole," I answered, wondering why he'd asked that.

I could see the wheels turning his dark eyes as he said, "Eiffel Nicole Perrin."

All was silent between us and I could barely hear him when he whispered to himself, "It's a beautiful name."

I smiled to myself, thinking about his middle name(s). When I said his full name in my head, it sounded like one that belonged to a Disney Prince. He was my prince and no one else's. Shawn Peter Raul Mendes. My imagination ran wild and I pictured him in the outfit of a prince. He looked so gorgeous, magnificent was the word to describe it best. Now, I had another idea for my sketches and I was going to start to work on it as quick as possible.

"We're here, Eiffel," Shawn told me and I saw that we'd already walked up to my front porch.

Just like a prince would, Shawn brought my hand to his lips and planted a feather-light  kiss on it.

"Thanks for agreeing to go out with me," he said, his minty breath fanning my face as our faces a few inches away from each other.

"You're welcome," I gazed up at him.

Kiss me Shawn Mendes, I thought. Now will be a good time for you to kiss me.

Shawn leaned in closer, aiming this, but then the door opened revealing my dad and all I could think about was why he had to open the door when I was about to have my first kiss.

Shawn quickly dived for my cheek and pressed a peck to it. I wanted a kiss, yes, but there was no way that I was going to let it happen in front of my one of my parents. Especially my overprotective dad. Shawn acknowledged my dad's presence with a simple greeting and then turned back to me.