06. Of Wishes And Shards

"If I had to choose between loving you and breathing, I would use my last breath to say I love you."

~Dani B

▫▫▫

Friday passed me by quickly and I was afraid that I didn't have enough time to psych myself up for the entire weekend I would be spending with the Mendes'. Shawn, to be precise. He was the problem, not his family.

"Eiffel! They're here!" My mother called from downstairs and my heartbeat quickened.

I made a mental checklist of the things I hoped were in my box.

Clothes? Check.

Underwear? Check.

Toiletries? Check.

Swimsuit? Check.

Other necessities. Check.

I smiled at myself in the mirror and tucked back a loose strand of dirty blonde hair behind my ear before heading downstairs. Karen was in the living room with my mom and they were laughing about something they were checking out on Karen's phone. Manuel and my dad were having one of their usual talks about sports and Aaliyah rolled her eyes casually at the occupied adults while Shawn seemed to be less bothered as he typed away at his phone.

The sight of him took my breath away still.

I cleared my throat loudly to indicate my presence and heads shot up. I was dressed casually and by casually, I mean my usual outfit which consisted of a dress patterned with polka dots - which stopped just above my knees - and a pair of monotone colored flats.

"Thanks for inviting me to spend the weekend with you at your lake house," I said to the Mendes'.

"You're welcome, dear," Karen smiled and Manuel nodded in agreement.

I briefly looked at Shawn, but he was still staring down at his phone. I sighed. At least, things were not that awkward.

After exchanging goodbye hugs with my parents, I headed out with the Mendes' and into their SUV. Karen and Manuel sat in the front seats, Shawn sat in the middle and even though I desperately wanted to sit beside him, I ended up in the back seat with Aaliyah when I got the signal that he wanted no one beside him. His eyes had said it all.

I sighed, resigning to my fate and spent most of time listening to music on Aaliyah's iPod while she fiddled with a game on my phone. The ride was mostly silent, but few tidbits of speech were thrown here and there. In an hour, our little party arrived at the lake house.

The house was a lot bigger than I expected. I wasn't one for big houses - I had always preferred the small and cozy types - but for this one I had to make an exception. The house was beautiful and it was situated in a quiet and peaceful location.

"It's beautiful," I breathed out in awe as I stared out the window.

"Wait till you see the lake," Aaliyah nudged me playfully in the side with her elbow.

Shawn opened the door and got out, stretching his legs. "Finally." He muttered and I had to resist the temptation of ogling him as he did this.

The rest of us got out of the SUV and got our bags out of the trunk.
"This is going to be the best weekend ever!" Aaliyah cheered as she raced to the front door.

"Whoa, slow down there, bud," Manuel chuckled, waving a bunch of keys in her face. "I've got the keys, you know,"

Aaliyah rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Just open it already. I'm getting impatient,"