21. Of Wishes And Tartans

"True love comes to those who are willing to wait."

▫▫▫

I opened my closet and scanned my clothes one after the other. It was about five minutes to six and I'd just come out of the shower. My damp hair was tied in a towel and I had a bath robe wrapped around my slender body.

The bag that contained all the items I'd gotten from the previous day's shopping expenditure with Jace and Lynelle flashed in my eyes and I hurriedly fished it out. The first clothing item I pulled out of the bag was the blue and black tartan shirt that Lynelle had bought for me.

My first instinct was to wear it to my date with Shawn and I obliged. Under five minutes, I had the shirt on with tight fitting black jeans and a pair of black wedge sneakers to add a few inches to my height. I made up, dried my hair and curled it, leaving it in rich blond ringlets falling down my shoulders.

I adorned my wrists with my favorite accessory - charm bracelets and a tiny silver necklace that had a tiara pendant hung around my neck.

I sat down, checking the time. Six seventeen. I was more than nervous for my date with Shawn. My palms were sweaty and I had this queasy feeling in my stomach. There were tons of butterflies in there. I slung my purse over my shoulder and decided to go downstairs to wait it out.

My dad was typing away on his laptop by the time I got there. He looked up when he saw me and pushed his black rimmed glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Wow, you look great," My dad beamed. "And you're all dressed up. Where to?"

"I've got a date," I told him, lowering into one of the beige couches in the living room.

"With who?" He arched an eyebrow and I shot him an are-you-serious look.

His eyes widened in realization, "Oh, that's right. Shawn."

My mom bursted out of the kitchen immediately and into the living room. "Aww, my baby's got a date,"

She engulfed me in a bone-crushing hug before I had a chance to escape and my dad chuckled in the background of my fake choking attempts.

My mom pulled away and stepped back before dusting my right shoulder. "Don't laugh too loud, don't eat too much, never frown, always smile. Start up interesting conversations, spice things up with a little flirting and compliment him." She winked at me when she was done with her mini speech. "Tips for a successful date,"

She ruffled the hair I had esteemed perfect, making me suppress a glare.

"You know when I was your age, I used to go out on a lot of dates," my mom began and my dad groaned her name. "I was pretty popular among the boys in high school back then. And there was this time that I got a note from a shy boy with glasses,"

"I was not shy," my dad protested.

"Yeah, right," my mom scoffed.

My dad rolled his eyes, but I could see him trying to hide a smile.

"Anyway," She continued. "In the note, he had been asking me to be his date to prom. I -"

My mother's tale was cut short by the sound of the door bell. I kissed them both goodbye and hurried over to the door.

"Don't stay out late!" My dad called out loudly and I tossed him a response.

I opened the door to reveal only the least-expected coincidence ever.

Shawn was standing there, all right, looking someone who'd just walked out of a magazine. But the coincidence was that he was wearing the exact tartan shirt as me. The same color and everything, except that his had a more masculine edge to it.