16. Of Wishes And Rumors

"True beauty lies in the purity of the heart."

▫▫▫

The waves crashed and swayed to the shore. A feeling of warmth overwhelmed me as the salty water swallowed my feet. The sun was out and it glistened on the surface of the beach. I was still busy staring out at the horizon when I felt strong arms wrap around my waist.

My first instinct was to scream, but a kiss was pressed to my temple and this silenced me instantly. I turned around in the person's arms and Shawn's brown eyes poured into mine, leaving me breathless.

His impressive height towered over mine and he leaned his forehead down to touch mine. His hair was messy and would've looked horrible on any other person, but the messy hair made Shawn look even hotter than he already was.

"Shawn," I breathed, my grin widening.

He placed his hand on my cheek, his thumb caressing it gently. "I love you."

His words instantly made me feel lightheaded. "You do?"

"With all my heart," he said, his peppermint breath fanning my face. "And I always will. Do you love me?"

An eager nod was all I could give.

"Say it," he whispered as he began kissing down my neck. "Tell me you love me,"

"I love you," I whimpered, unable to control the tingling feeling in my toes.

"Say it again," he nipped at my neck.

"I love you, Shawn. I always have and forever will."

Shawn grinned as he pulled his head up. He leaned closer, in an attempt to kiss me.

But an alarm clock rang in a faraway distance, gruesomely snapping me out of my blissful daze.

My eyes opened to see the familiar terrain of my bedroom. Where was the sun, where was the beach. Most importantly, where was the boy who'd just confessed his feelings for me?

Way to go, Alice in wonderland, my subconscious called my attention to the fact that I'd been dreaming all along.

I peeled back the covers from my legs and walked towards the window. Perhaps I could still see something from my dream. The sun.

But I was wrong. So wrong. All I saw were dark gray clouds and I feared it was going to start raining heavily before I could make it to school. It was on days like this that I wished Shawn came to pick me up like a usual boyfriend would. And it was also on days like this that I wished I could actually drive.

I remembered the night I'd driven Shawn and I home. Yeah, it was fun but I wasn't sure I was ready to take such a risk and probably destroy either of my parents' car.

"Eiffel," My mother poked her head round the door, reminding me that I still had one option left. "Do you want me to drive you to school? It's going to start pouring cats and dogs any moment from now,"

"Yeah, that'd be great," I replied. "I'll meet you downstairs in a couple of minutes."

My mother nodded, shutting my door and I heard her soft footsteps travel down the stairs.