31. Of Wishes And Bruises

"If a girl loves you enough to come back to you after you broke her heart, then she's definitely the one."

▫▫▫
SHAWN
▫▫▫

Eiffel's mother - Isabelle - was surprised to see me when I showed up on her doorstep on Wednesday.

"Sh-Shawn?" The blond woman stuttered.

"Good morning, Mrs Perrin," I said in the most polite voice I could muster. "I'm here to pick Eiffel up,"

"Oh," She tried not to sound surprised. "But I thought you broke up with her,"

"We got back together yesterday," I explained. "And I'm so sorry for my behavior at the dinner the other day. I really shouldn't have walked out of the dinner and spoken to Eiffel that way,"

"It's fine, Shawn," Isabelle replied. "You're forgiven."

I heaved a sigh of relief and that was when Eiffel showed up. She had no make-up on, except what I could decipher as mascara and her hair was braided simply. She had a coral cardigan on with tight-fitting jeans that really brought out her curves, unlike the polka dotted dresses that she used to wear.

Eiffel's smile when she saw me, propelled me to give a sigh of my own and I felt this sort of happiness in me by just doing so. Eiffel hugged her mother goodbye and I reached out to take her hand as we headed to my car.

Her hand was soft and small as she gripped mine lightly. I could feel that she was still a bit nervous around me and I didn't want it to be so. If we were going to be in a relationship, then we had to be free and completely ourselves. So I made a mental note of asking her out to my family reunion that was taking place in two weeks.

All eyes were on the both of us as we stepped into the hallway of the high school. And then the whispers and gossips ensued. Eiffel gripped my hand tighter and looked down to hide her face from the curious stares.

But I was less bothered about it. We had made our relationship public, so what? These people needed to learn to mind their business.

The first bell rang and I led Eiffel to our history class. We got a lot of stares too from the students there and I could almost feel Eiffel's nervousness. We occupied two seats at the back of the classroom and waited for Mr. Patterson to arrive.

Eiffel turned to look at me, her voice reducing to a soft whisper. "Are you going to apologize to Tanner?"

"For what?" I feigned innocence and her beautiful eyes gave me a cold stare.

"For beating him up, silly," Eiffel said. "It'll be right to just apologize and clear things up with him,"

I sighed, raking a hand through my messy hair. It wasn't going to be easy to apologize to a guy for hitting him when the motive for hitting him was because he was crushing on my girlfriend.

Girlfriend. I liked the sound of that word and I still couldn't believe that Eiffel agreed to be with me after everything I had done to her. She was an angel in my life and she didn't even know it.

"Please?" The way her blue-green eyes looked at me made me feel queasy in the stomach.

And I hadn't felt that way in a long time.