25. Of Wishes And Dinners

"Of all the people my heart could have chosen, it decided on a boy who didn't have enough room in his heart to love someone like me."

▫▫▫

I waved Jace goodbye and rang the doorbell as soon as I stepped on the Mendes' porch. Karen's smiling face greeted me as the door pulled open.

Her near-blond hair was whipped up in a bun that let some ringlets fall down her face and she had a beautiful mint-green dress on.

"Hello, Eiffel," She pulled me into a sweet-smelling hug and I greeted her back.

She led me to the dining room where everyone was seated, already dining. There was laughter as they talked. Manuel was talking with my parents and Karen soon joined their conversation while Aaliyah was stuffing her face with as much food as she could muster and Shawn was just pushing his food around his face with his trademark scowl.

I greeted everyone at the table and I was replied with warm smiles. Shawn still stared down at his place. My, I'd never seen anyone with as many moods wings as Shawn Mendes and I wondered what was making him seem so mad. I kept my thoughts to myself, anyway and made a move to sit.

There were two empty seats left at the table. One was between Shawn and Aaliyah and the other was beside my mom. I chose the seat beside my mom, but this only made me directly opposite Shawn.

I dug into my casserole and while the adults talked, Aaliyah whipped me into a conversation about Ed Sheeran's newest album. The dinner went on like this until Shawn pushed his chair away from the table and stood up. All our heads shot up and Shawn walked out of the dining room without a work and we all heard the thumping of his boots as he jogged up the stairs, probably to his bedroom.

Karen's face fell and she shook her head. No one spoke about Shawn's impolite abandonment of his food and the dinner as we knew better than to try to talk to him when he was angry. But I ignored that.

"I'll go get him," I announced, taking my napkin out of my lap as I stood up.

"Honey, are you sure?" My mom was concerned and I nodded, leaving the dining room.

I went up the stairs and came to a stop at Shawn's door. I called his name softly, not wanting to knock.

All was silent for a second before I heard his growl, "What the hell do you want?"

There was a click and he pulled his door open, his nostrils flaring as he glared at me in an intimidating way that made me want to get swallowed up by the ground.

"Please come back downstairs," I made my voice so soft, in the hopes that it would soften his heart. "It wasn't really polite for you to leave that way,"

He clenched his jaw, standing menacingly before me. "Who exactly do you think you are to tell me that I was being impolite?"

I flinched at his tone.

"Do you think that just because I took you out on a date a few days ago makes me in love with you now?" He continued and he let out a mocking laugh. "You're a naïve bitch with no respect for a person's privacy. You can never mean anything to me."

A tear tickled my cheek as it slid down and Shawn slammed his door shut with the force of a ferocious bear. Positive that I had never seen him this mad before, I stole down the stairs.

The dining room was silent when I returned and it was no doubt that they'd heard everything that had transpired upstairs between Shawn and I.

"I couldn't get him to come downstairs," my voice cracked as I spoke.

Karen was about to speak, but my dad rose out of his chair, "We would like to leave now."

"We're so sorry for Shawn's behavior-" Karen began to say.

"It's okay, Karen," my mom said. "Thanks for the lovely dinner,"

After a couple of profound apologies from Karen and Manuel, we left for our house. My mom hugged me tight after we got home and I cried into her shoulder like I'd never done before.

I went upstairs to my room after that, thinking about everything that Shawn had said to me. It was only then that I realized what was left for me to do.

I waited for my parents to go to bed and when the house was dark and silent, I changed into a hoodie and sweatpants and stole out of the house into the pitch black night.

It had been long overdue. It was high time I broke up with Shawn.

A/N: Happy new year, everyone! It's a double update, loves! :-) Vote, comment and keep reading >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>