CHAPTER 6

It's been a week since then, but my fear hasn't subsided a bit, only intensified.

That was still the worst encounter, but I still could see them, and they are just, around me. They were either crawling on the floor or sliding on the windows while classes. I just see them while I am inside a building. Never outside during the day. But at night, they are everywhere.

At night, I could hear them inside my head. Screeching and screaming inaudible murmurs and giggles. I couldn't sleep nor eat, my body went weak and thin. My mind was blank and dark circles made my eyes heavier from all the restlessness. My parents started to worry about me, but I didn't tell them a detail, they wouldn't believe me anyways and tell me they are just delusions. That wouldn't help at all.

Ceres is surprisingly gone, but sometimes I can see her crawling in school as if she is following someone, maybe she is just tired of me.

But, Chase was different, he would always check and even ask how I was doing . Sometimes, I can even catch him staring at me during discussions. I ignored it because I'm too distracted to care.

But, I have grown to love science, his discussion takes me away from reality and gives me rest from worries. He would discuss about how everything was once crumpled into a tiny point, smaller than a pin head, and how it expanded into light years distances in just a few minutes, thus the big bang. Then the rise of the matter and antimatter, how they clashed and destroyed each other and that we are mere remnants. Everything just seems, amazing and beyond imagination.

That the universe seems so familiar yet still a mystery, and that everything moves in a certain order and happens because of a certain fate.

I hate to admit it, but I was wrong when I said cosmology with a cocky, hot teacher is going to suck. It gives me the relief and security at the moment while getting to know the origin of everything around me. Another thing is the shadows are nowhere to be found during Sir Raegan's class. But, the sad thing is, it has to end like everything else will. And after that, my little safe haven is gone too and reality comes crashing back, thus the shadows.

------------

I sighed, it's been a tiring day. Well, it's always like this. My anxiety sucking all my energy. Walking to my house has never been this hard since this week.

My phone beeped and vibrated, startling me from my thoughts. I opened it, there is a message, from a unknown number.

"Congratulations! You passed the auditions! Please proceed to the Maxis theater (venue of the auditions ) to confirm your slot.

Have a good day! "

At last! My worries about the results of the auditions finally faded! And the best part is I passed!

Heat rushed to my legs as new energy enveloped me. I sprinted to the other side of the road and to the streets leading to the theater. For the first time this day, I was happy and delighted.

The knob of the enormous door glimmered in the late afternoon's light.

This is it... you did it Iris...

I then pushed the double doors with all my strength, expecting to see a lot of dancers who passed, hoping Michelle is one of them.

My eyes wandered around the vast theater, air filled the empty space illuminated by dim stage lights.

weird...

Am I the only one who passed?

I laughed to myself at my concieted thought.

"Hello? Anybody there? I passed the auditions! Where are the others?" then I let out a excited howl that echoed throughout the structure...

My curiosity of what is happening led me to a man cleaning a part of the seats. I ignored that small voice in me that said something was off with him . I am so happy I just went and tapped his shoulder lightly

"uhmm, may I ask where the other auditionees for the dance group are? or am I even in the right place? "

he didn't even budge, his back was still facing me like he didn't even heard me.

ugh,nevermind , I'll just check the text message again.

I opened my inbox, scrolling through the threads and messed up texts.

huh? where is it?

wherever I look for the text message, It is not there... The thread was suddenly gone...

The little voice in my head rang again, saying and screaming something was wrong here.

"Don't worry, You're at the right place " an amused and low chuckle made it's way to my ears.

the janitor faced me as he answered

"than-" my gratitude choked me as I saw his him ...

He has no face, but his eyes where there... but instead of irises, black smoke was rising , like a flame was burning inside him and the smoke was being belched out of his sockets.

Fear froze me as I open my mouth to scream, but no sound came out, a soft sob came out instead...

Right in front of me was the personification of my fear . My heart suddenly had that ripping pain going through its chambers.

He seemed to like what he was making me feel as he smiled , making a tear through the flesh. Suddenly his hand neared my chest and the agony going on inside my heart intensified, like something is struggling to get out of it.

I couldn't find the strength to move, something got into me that caused this weakness. It was like the night last week. I wonder if the same outcome will happen.

I just closed my eyes and waited for the terrible to happen.

"Iris! Get out of here! " A masculine voice rang through my senses, proving I was still alive.

The man pinned down the janitor with the smoking eyes, then landed his fist on his jaw. The impact was so harsh I heard the crack on his bone.

The janitor fell, relief flooded me as I looked at him unconscious on the ground. His eyes were closed and his face was already there. Like he is nothing more than a human unlike moments ago.

My dark haired Savior just stood there, still in his defensive stance. He seemed to be anticipating something.

In less than a moment, the unconscious man's mouth was opened and the the black smoke that was once in his eyes gushed out in blinding amounts. Filling the air with the same smoke that haunted me for years.

Without any hesitation, the man leaped an incredibe height and held the smoke like it is tangible. He forced it apart and ripped it into millions of segments.

He landed on the ground again on his feet. The smoke are now moving in a million pieces and at once attacked him, pinning him to the ground. He struggled, but they were to heavy and powerful.

I didn't know what happened next. A bright light filled the place and I covered my eyes for it was too much.

The next thing I know, grey eyes were staring at me with a disappointed look.

" I said get away from here. Why didn't you obey me?! "

I just stared at him in disbelief. My savior, my hero, the one who fought the shadows fearlessly... was also my teacher.

"Mr. Raegan..."