CHAPTER 13

I landed on my bed flat on my back. It was a long and busy day. Chase settled on my window, his favorite spot.

Not a long day of constant misfortune, but a long and productive one.

I am still in the process of conquering my fear of people and attention, and through my own will while Chase being there to support me , he said I was doing pretty good. The weird glances I usually get lessened, and those that still judge me, I just ignore and try not to notice. What will it do to me anyway if I bother myself with all of these?

as Chase taught me "You busy yourself listening and believing to the wrong people and ideas that you don't truly see your capacity and worth. "

His words continued to echo in my mind and my thoughts about it drowned me to sleep...

-----------------------

The familiar cold lurked around the space causing some goosebumps to form on my skin. I tried to ignore it and shut my eyes tighter, but a stingy wave brushed against my thigh.

My eyes bolted open and saw the worse. The same smoke that haunted me for years, the thing that wants me dead.

It neared me , clouding on my feet to its way up. Floating on top of me.

Chase?!?Where the hell are you?!?

My feet wanted to run and crawl its way out of here, but my mind didn't let it. I was paralyzed with fright and awe. I couldn't think straight... I couldn't even scream. I was just as helpless as before. My sweat beaded on my cold forehead, but something was different this time... My heart didn't have those ripping sensations, but it was defenitely beating its way out of me.

'Iris! What are you doing?! ' Chase's voice echoed in my mind

a tiny bit of hope glowed in me 'Chase! where are you?! Help me! ' I tried to reply in my head

'Don't let your fear stop you. '

'how the fudge will I do that?!? ' Panic rised in me, was he going to let me die here?!?

I watched the smoke withdrew in a slow and eerie fashion. They are like being sucked by a black hole. Gradually, I saw what was drawing and swallowing them.. A black cylinder case, and someone was holding it...

"Chase? "

He was sitting on a chair at the foot of my bed. He shook his head slowly with a pained and disappointed look.

"Iris, you did nothing to save yourself " then he looked at me wearily "you were dead scared again "

"What will I do? Those are the Dark eyes! They want me dead! "

"That was just the training, Iris. What if those are the true Dark eyes? You could have died doing Nothing! "

I felt blood drain my face as my heart fell "what? then what are those? "

"training smoke. That's what we use to train. "

"wow... " I let out a dry laugh as I shook my head in disbelief "so those are fake? You are the one that released them? "

"Yes. They are fake, that is why your heart didn't hurt. "

"Chase! I was fucking terrified! I could have died of a heart attack! I can't believe you did that to me! "

he was taken aback, his expression showed that he was hurt, But I was more hurt. How can he? I trusted him...

"Iris..." his voice suddenly sounded cold and distant "I was just training you, It's for your own good. "

"No! Do you think that was good for me?!? " I sat upright "That was too much for me! You know what?!? I think you're rushing me and pushing me too hard. "

"We have to rush... we only got 3 and a half months left. You still have a lot to learn to survive. "

A small sting of guilt hurt in me, realizing he was right. But my while being concentrated on the pain and trauma he caused me... I didn't realize I was sobbing and bawling my eyes out.

"Iris... " he tried to approach me but I stopped him.

"Chase, I don't know... Just, leave first... " I hugged my knees close to my chest as I buried my face on my curled body, not wanting to see him.

There was a long stretch of silence.

He sighed and I heard him walk a bit.

"Iris, I dedicated my whole life and existence to protect you. All that I am doing is for your sake. Just remember that, the last thing I want is you getting harmed and hurt. " there was a slight squeaking and sliding sound.

then he murmured "I'm sorry... "

An unnatural wind swept all over the place. The small sting of guilt grew after hearing that... I am so guilty to blame him for hurting and scaring me. Deep inside , I knew I felt that way because I was a coward, and he was just helping me...

I hurriedly lifted my gaze around to apologize, but I found Nothing but the empty space of my room and my window wide open.

It's too late, he's gone.