03. Focal Point

Present

Present

"Three minutes late again, Ms. West and Ms. Black," I hear Scott say, our boss. "You haven't even been here for a week yet, Raven. I figured you'd at least have more common sense to get here on time."

I groan under my breath, trying to hide my glare. "Traffic was bad this morning-"

"I'm sure it was," he cuts me off, sighing. "It's a good thing you're a good photographer or else you most likely wouldn't have a job here. You two better start getting here early or else I won't have any other choice than to let you go, despite you being the best two workers we have here."

"Yes sir," Iris says politely as she nods her head. One thing that I've noticed about Iris over the past few months was that she was always a peace maker; she wanted every conversation to go smoothly and to resolve any sort of conflict. I was the opposite...I was ready to pick a fight if I needed to, especially if it was to defend my name or someone else's.

However, Iris' tactics were starting to rub off on me.

I fold my arms as I nod my head stiffly. "Yes...sir. We'll get here earlier from now on."

He eyes me, and I knew it was because I didn't give him a snappy reply this time around. "Good. Iris, I need that article on the husks before you leave today, and Raven, I hear that there was another husk found earlier today. Go to the crime scene and work that camera magic you seem to have. I still don't understand how you're able to get such good up close shots, but I don't have to know as long as you get them."

"I'll get on it," I say as my eyes drift over to my camera sitting on Iris' desk, where I had left it yesterday. Scott nods his head one last time before turning and leaving Iris and I alone, heading towards his office.

Iris sighs as she turns towards me. "Isn't it a little ironic that even a speedster can be late?"

I snort. "No kidding. We wouldn't have been if Barry wouldn't have pulled me to the side."

"What's up with him anyways?" Iris asks as she sits down at her desk, logging in to her computer. "He seemed to be a little off this morning...especially with that little stunt he pulled with my dad and I."

My eyes drift off as I wonder the same thing she was asking me. "He's Barry Allen; is he ever really normal?"

Iris gives me a little smile. "You're right. He just needs his time I guess after what happened..."

The two of us grow silent as we remember the death of Henry Allen, it being a little more vivid in my mind than hers. I had been there when Hunter had plunged his fist through his chest, and the look on Barry's face in that moment haunted me almost every time I closed my eyes. The pure heartbreak and pain that had been behind his eyes were something I'd never forget.

"Well, you better go work that camera magic before Scott comes back around to yell some more," Iris says finally, tuning me back in. I nod my head as I grab my camera off her desk, turning it on before looking around to make sure no one was watching me. When I notice that no one was, I quickly race out of CCPN and run towards the crime scene that Scott had told me about.